Gunman

Chapter Thirty-Two
Gunman

Chris

Ryan and I went over and tried to calm Nicole down as much as we could. We walked over to her and sat down beside her. I didn't like seeing her this upset. I also didn't know that her and Kyle were that close, she hadn't really mentioned him to me but when she did, she said that they sort of had a falling out after her and Jay split.

She was on her knees beside him and had her head resting on his chest. She was sobbing and her tears visibly soaked his shirt. I couldn't believe that Jay had just shot his best friend. I had told Everett to call for help and he said that they would be here as quick as they could, but they were swamped with calls. Apparently today was a bad day for Beckton.

I was rubbing circles on her back while Ryan was massaging her neck and shoulders. This was our lame yet desperate attempt to calm her. Ryan and I had taken our eyes off of Jay because he was clearly unconscious, which was our first mistake. Jay had gotten up and retrieved the baseball bat and the gun. He walked over quickly and quietly so that we couldn't hear him, hit Nicole over the head with the bat, and aimed the gun at me. He just pulled the trigger when Ryan jumped in front of me and took the bullet. Nicole fell unconscious.

I lunged at Jay, taking down his left arm which held the gun so that he couldn't shoot me. I tried taking the gun from him but his fingers wouldn't budge. They remained securely wrapped around the handle. Instead, I put my hand around his and put my index finger overtop of his on the trigger. I moved my hands so that the gun was pointed to him and he tried to push it towards me. I didn't want to kill him, but he killed potentially two people today. There almost wasn't another option since the police weren't going to be here for a little while. I used all of the strength I could find and pushed the gun at Jay, and when I had an opening, I pulled the trigger. Jay fell limp to the ground.

I scrambled to my feet and ran to Ryan. He was lying on the ground, still awake but probably not for long. I grabbed his shoulders and pulled him up so that he was sitting, back against a tree.

"Hey Ry. C'mon buddy you gotta keep your eyes on me got it? Eyes. On. Me"

"C..Chris" he managed "take care of Addison"

"No. You're gonna take care of her you got that? You're gonna take care of her"

Just then sirens blared and two ambulances and two police cruisers pulled up to the house.

"HELP" I screamed "He's hurt!! HELP PLEASE"

A couple of paramedics came over and put Ryan on a stretcher and wheeled him into the ambulance.

"Keep him alive" I pleaded to one of the paramedics.

"Of course" she smiled. She closed the door behind her and they sped off to the hospital.

They pronounced Jay dead on the scene, and it turns out I shot him in the head. I didn't really notice through the adrenaline rush. They took a little bit longer to examine Kyle and said that there still may be hope for him but a very small amount of it. They loaded him into the ambulance and sped after the other one. One other ambulance came and checked out Nicole even though she was still unconscious, and then they examined me to make sure I was okay. They said that Nicole may have a concussion and they were going to take her to the hospital as well. Addison and I climbed into the ambulance with her while Everett made sure everyone at the party got home safely.

Everett and Addison were inside the house when this whole thing happened and somehow, nobody on the inside knew what was happening outside. They felt absolutely awful and apologized about a hundred thousand times and said that if they would have known, they would've done everything they could to help.