Chapter 21

Unedited 

Cheri's Pov

"I found a lump on my breast, the left one." I told the doctor as he continued to type on his computer. "I've also been getting more back pains than usual." 

"What else?" He asked looking away from his computer. "Lift up your top for me please."

I lifted up my top as I continued to speak, "When I pee a little bit of blood appears."   

He sighed after he felt my breasts I was complaining about. "Do you have troubles swallowing food after eating or a never ending cough?" 

"Yes, both." He gave me a side-eye before he fully turned around in his chair and stared at me. 

"Hows the lung cancer?" He questioned, "Do you feel any changes?"

"I didn't cough as much as before. I wheeze more and some times I feel like I can't really breathe, like somebody is suffocating me."

"From what I've heard in the past few minutes tell me some different symptoms of different types of cancers. It's clear the lump in your breast is a sign of breast cancer, the blood in your pee is bladder cancer. Your lung cancer looks like it's getting worse. It looks like the cancer from one cell is spreading, attacking other cells and taking over. " He said making it clear.

"Huh?" I asked, I heard clearly what he said but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I'm too young for this, I'm not even in my fifties and I have all these types of cancers.

"It's spreading, the lung cancer cell is spreading to different places. There's maybe what, three weeks or months before it all takes over your body." He said ever so carelessly. "I can subscribe you with some medications for you to collect in a few days." 

"When exactly will it take over?" 

"That we don't know but we need to give you something before it's too late." He handed me a piece of paper with the name of my medication and the costs. "You need to buy some chemotherapy drugs, Avastin and Herceptin. One kit of the Herceptin  can help the early stages of breast cancer it's around four thousand dollars and Avastin will cost around seven thousand for two vials. " He continued. "All together it can cost up to a million dollars a year for the medication." 

"A million?" He nodded as he pushed his glasses back. 

"What if it doesn't work?"

"It didn't work on a small percentage of people which was about fourteen percent but I'd advise you to get it sooner than later because cancer cells spread very fast." 

I picked up my Louis Vuitton bag as I stood up. "Thank you Dr. Myers." 

"No problem. Your next appointment is next week, we'll start giving you weekly check ups."

"I'll be moving back to America soon." I stated as I walked towards the door.

"Okay then, I'll send all of your information to a good cancer specialist in Miami right?" I nodded. "Take care then and make sure to buy the chemotherapy drugs before it's too late." He repeated before I waved and left.

I ignored the stares I was getting as I walked down the hallway, I knew the make up I used this morning didn't cover up the big blue bruise that was on my cheek. A lot has happened in the past few months and the news I got today wasn't making anything better.

I had two miscarriages due to Drey constantly beating me and a forced abortion because he wasn't ready to face reality. I've been in Jamaica for almost eight months and I haven't contacted my family ever since, I would if I could but Drey has me on lockdown. He beats and rapes me then spoils me to make it up to me but that's all going to end soon. I can't keep up with constantly lying to the police and doctors about my bruises and cuts.