Chapter 29

I stood in front of Maia's front door and I hesitantly rang the doorbell. I wasn't sure who would be home since there was no car in the parking lot. I heard the clicking of the door unlock and I was expecting to see familiar dark brown eyes, but instead someone shorter answered the door.

"Hi," I said waving at Charlie.

Charlie smiled at me and waved back. "Hi Lauren," Charlie said.

"Is Maia here?" I asked.

"Yes, she's upstairs in her room" Charlie said stepping aside to let me into the house.

"Thank you," I said as I started walking in the direction of Maia's bedroom.

"Wait Lauren," Charlie said.

"Yes?" I asked turning around to face him.

"After you are finish talking to Maia, do you want to play catch with me outside?" Charlie asked.

"I would love to, but I don't think that's a good idea" I said.

"Why not?" Charlie asked.

"I won't be around anymore after I talk to Maia" I said.

"Are you two breaking up?" Charlie asked.

"Yes," I said.

"Why?" Charlie asked.

"I like someone else" I said proudly.

"You might like them but you and Maia love each other" Charlie said.

"I might like this person now and then love them later" I said.

"This is so unfair" Charlie said.

"I am sorry but we can still be friends if you like" I said.

"No, it wouldn't be the same and Maia will be heartbroken" Charlie said.

"I understand" I said.

"See you around Lauren," Charlie said and then ran into the living room.

I continued my walk to Maia's room. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to say. I knew for certain that I didn't want to hurt Maia's feelings, but it wasn't fair for me to lead Maia on. I stood outside of her bedroom door and I bit my bottom lip nervously. I knocked on her door and I heard shuffling in the room.

"Go away Charlie," Maia yelled from the other side of the door.

I opened my mouth to say something, which at this point felt extremely dry. But before I could say anything the bedroom door swung open revealing a puffy eyed Maia.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"No," Maia said. "What are you doing here?"

I shuffled from one foot to the other nervously. "I came here to talk to you" I said.

"You can spare whatever it is that you were going to say to me" Maia said.

"Why?" I asked.

"I already know why you came here Lauren. I don't need your fucking pity talk before you break up with me" Maia said.

"It is not pity and that is not fair" I said.

"Then what will you call it Lauren? You come here to give me some sob story and reasoning as to why we can't be together and then tell me you are leaving me for Camila. The girl who treated you like shit and never once defended you, she didn't care about you" Maia said.

"She is different now," I said.

"No one changes Lauren, this could all be an act and you are too stupid to realize it" Maia said.