Chapter 12

Once Maia calmed down, it didn't take her long to step into action. I tried to get out of the car and see who I hit even though I wanted to cry on the spot, but Maia stopped me.

"I'll go check. Just stay in here Lauren" Maia said and then took a deep a breath before exiting the car.

Maia hesitantly walked to the back of the car and I heard her gasp.

"Lauren, call 911 and don't come out here" Maia shouted.

I did as I was told and within seconds the ambulance showed up. Maia got back into my car and closed the door.

"Will they be okay?" I asked.

"Listen Lauren the cops are going to be here shortly, so I'm going to need to trade seats with you. If they ask who was driving, I'm going to need you to tell the cops that it was me. I dropped my phone and took my eyes off the road for a split second" Maia said.

"But that is not the truth" I said.

"I know it isn't but I need you to be safe Lauren. I promised your mom that I would protect you" Maia said and then kissed me.

"I want you to be safe too" I said.

"I know Lauren but we need to change seats" Maia said.

"Okay," I said and did what Maia said to do.

When the cops showed up, they questioned Maia and then took her away. I wanted to tell the truth when she was placed in the back of a police car, but Maia shook her head through the window.

I was now sitting in my room and staring up at my ceiling as Natasha tried to beat a level in one of my video games she was playing.

"I hate this fucking game" Natasha said throwing the game controller onto the floor.

"If Mani were here she would help" I said.

"That's only because she uses cheat codes" Natasha said.

"I want to see Maia" I said.

"I know you do but her parents grounded her" Natasha said.

"But the car thing wasn't her fault it was mine" I said.

"I'm aware of that but Maia told you not to tell anyone so you need to respect her wishes" Natasha said.

"I still feel bad" I said.

"About what?" Natasha asked.

"The person I hit. Do you think they're better?" I said.

"Uh... it's better to not think about it. We could bake some brownies together" Natasha said changing the subject.

I had a feeling that Natasha wasn't telling me something. Her body language basically said it all. I know people like to think I'm stupid or something, but certain things do stand out to me.

"Okay," I said getting up from my bed and following Natasha downstairs into the kitchen.

"Do you think your mom knows I'm here? I mean it's not like Clara to not be aware of things" Natasha said.

"I don't know. My mom and dad are too focused on papers that Camila's mom gave them" I said.

"I thought you told me that the papers were from the hospital confirming Camila's pregnancy?" Natasha asked.

"That's what Camila said on the phone" I said.

"Unless there's something more that Camila didn't mention and your parents don't want you to know. Maybe your parents are being blackmailed" Natasha said.