Chapter 8

Normani slept on the floor, while I slept in my bed. I offered her my bed, but she told me no. I did my best to sleep, but I only managed to get three hours of sleep. I woke up to the loud noise of my TV as Normani played a video game. I let out a yawn when I sat up in bed.

"Oh shit, sorry Lauren. I didn't mean to wake you" Normani said.

"It's okay" I said.

"Do you want to play?" Normani asked, holding my other game controller out to me.

"No, I'm going to get breakfast with Maia" I said.

"Since when? Why didn't you tell me?" Normani asked.

"I was going to but you were sad and hurt" I said.

Normani's excitement for me quickly vanished and she wore that same look on her face when I found her on my front porch.

"But Mani is all better now" I said.

"Listen Lauren I need you to be careful with who you talk to" Normani said.

"I don't talk to a lot of people" I said.

"I know you don't it's just that I want you to be safe" Normani said.

"You always keep me safe because you're my best friend" I said running over to her to tackle her and Normani began to laugh.

"Ew gross you have morning breath" Normani said when I tried to kiss her on the cheek.

"Kiss," I said puckering out my lips as Normani struggled in my grasp.

"Ugh fine" Normani said as she stopped struggling and allowed me to kiss her on the cheek.

Chris came stumbling into my room when Normani and I started laughing again. He rubbed his eyes tiredly before speaking.

"Will you two shut up? Some of us are trying to sleep" Chris said.

"Aren't you supposed to be in school?" Normani asked.

"I'm obviously sick" Chris said pretending to cough.

"Obviously," Normani said.

"Just keep it down" Chris said before leaving my room.

"Someone needs to get laid" Normani said letting out a low whistle.

"I heard that" Christ shouted from down the hall.

"That was the point" Normani shouted back.

"Be nice" I said standing up and going to the bathroom.

It didn't take me long to get ready, but I was still hoping at some point that Normani would tell me what happened. She never did. Instead she kept talking about the college party that Tori invited us to. I dropped Normani off at home and she told me that she would see me later. I pulled into the driveway of Maia's place and before I could get out and ring the doorbell, Maia was already running out of her house and to my car.

"I thought I wasn't going to be ready in time" Maia said while getting into the car.

"No, it's fine" I said pulling out of her driveway.

"I was thinking that maybe we could get breakfast at this one place that Ally was telling me about" Maia said.

A smile graced my lips because I knew exactly the place that Ally might have suggested. "Waffle House" I said.

"Yes, how did you know?" Maia asked.

"It's Ally's favorite place but she doesn't order anything with waffles" I said.