Part XXII: Ecstatic Joy and Abject Terror

The snow continued to fall as time marched by.

Sanctus had their demo CD recorded.

How strange. Kettu thought to himself as he held the disc in his hands, that all of one’s personal dreams, hopes, and ambitions could rely on such a tiny, seemingly insignificant object. But then again, without any of what he had accomplished in the last month, none of this would have been possible. A feeling of joy filled him, he felt awake, energized.

Alive.

There was little that he could think of that could bother him. The world was finally coming up in his direction, and his previously dark and cold existence was replaced with something truly amazing. He had a promising future, not just as a musician, but with Nina as well. They had seen each other many times, each time resulting in neither of them leaving for the night. He was beyond the menial Hallmark card kind of love with her, they resonated deeply with each other, understood each other’s most deepest desires and darkest secrets. There was no taboo subject between the two of them, and yet, it was all indescribably sacred.

“Crazy, huh?” Ben said, spinning a drumstick between two fingers, “That we’ve gotten this far?”

“You can say that again.” Kettu smiled. “We’re finally going to make it, Ben.”

“You think so?” Ben asked hopefully.

“I know so. I can feel it.” Kettu replied, handing off the Demo CD to his friend.

“I really hope you’re right, man. I can’t stand this paycheque-to-paycheque crap anymore.”

“Neither can I.” Kettu said as the two continued their walk through the snow covered park. “I want better for myself, and for Nina, too.”

“Sounds like things are getting pretty serious, there Big K.”

“They are.” Kettu nodded.

“And this is a good thing, right?”

“Without a doubt.”

“So, what’s your plan?” Ben asked, jabbing his friend in the ribs with an elbow, “Gonna pop the question?”

“Whoa!” Kettu started, his eyes widening, “A little early for that kind of commitment, isn’t it?”

“You’d make an honest woman out of her.” Ben winked.

“If you married every woman you slept with, you’d be up to your ass in wedding rings.” Kettu fired back through gritted teeth. This kind of prodding was unwelcome.

Although, secretly, he had entertained the idea. Not that anything had come of it. He had already decided that it was far too early to begin even thinking of such a deep, and final commitment.

“You’re right.” Ben laughed, “I’d have to get a massive ranch to keep all of my children and wives in.”

“Don’t forget about converting over to some crazy, whacked-out religion.” Kettu laughed. Ben joined in, slapping the knee of his already worn jeans.

The two friends continued walking, without a destination in mind, just walking along in the snow as the winter’s twilight began to dim out the day’s blue sky. They continued walking, all the way back to Kettu’s loft.

“Here’s my stop.” Kettu said, brushing back his hair from his face, “But thanks for dropping by with the copy of the Demo, Ben. I’ll be sure to…”

“Give it to Nina.” Ben said, waving him off, “After all, her song is on there.”

That’s right.

Kettu had recorded “Weeping Angels” on the CD as Mister Tollins had requested.

“I’ll be taking my copy to the record label in the morning.” Ben said, turning toward the street, “After that, we will wait for a phone call. Good news or bad.”

“It’ll be good news, Ben. I know it will.”

“You keep that spirit up, Big K.”

“I will, you too, Ben.”

And in only a moment, Ben faded into the darkening mist of the increasing snowfall. And Kettu sighed as he turned and unlocked the door to that dimly lit lobby once again.

Kettu tossed his long trench coat aside as he walked in his front door, and set the copy of the demo CD on his amplifier. The blinking red light of his answering machine advertising that there had been a message left. He nonchalantly reached over and pressed the button.

And silence.

Four messages of complete and total silence.

“Message five.” The machine croaked out mechanically.

“The spotlight is a dangerous thing.” A deep, rumbling voice hissed at the other end of the line, “You step into it, and become visible to the whole wide world around you.”

Kettu felt a cold sweat beginning to bead on his forehead.

No.

Not him.

After all this time, after all that had been done, this could not be happing. Kettu could feel his pulse quicken, his breaths become shallow. He knew exactly who was on the other end of that message, that voice, that horrible, deep, rumbling voice….

It was Joseph.

“When you stepped into that spotlight, you all but said, ‘hey dad, here I am.’ and so now, Kettu my boy, I know where you are. And more importantly,” There was an eerie pause that caused Kettu’s heart to race.

“I know where your little girlfriend is, too.”

“End of message.” The machine croaked.