12: Sparks

“What are you doing here?”
He was smirking, shaking his head. He sat down at the end of my bed, folding his hands in his lap, then looked up at me.
“First of all, I can’t believe you think it’s a surprise that I’m here. Doll, I knew where you lived the moment you left because I just know you that much. How were the sewers?” he paused, searching my eyes for something. I was pissed, and once he was probably satisfied with that emotion, he kept going. “Not the point. You used me to get some criminal pointers and experience, didn’t you?”
I blinked, then burst out laughing. “Sweetheart, like you, I am someone without a plan. You broke my heart so I left. Then, boom, the thought came to me! What if I was a villain and that’s how I gained money, since I couldn’t any other way anymore?”
He stood up, capturing a lock of blue in his fingers, tugging me to him. I winced, and followed so he wouldn’t pull my hair out. I sat next to him.
“You made me leave.” I grumbled.
“No one makes us do anything, darling.” he answered, then licked his lips.
“Why do you do that?” I sighed, he shrugged, knowing what I was talking about apparently.
“Because when I first got the scars, my dear, I wasn’t allowed to open my mouth. It was sewn shut, except for my lips. My lips would get dry, so I would lick them, and I still do. My mouth is still sewn shut in a way but I can move it since it was completely fixed up.” he smiled, I traced his scars.
“Darling, you are still fond of me, aren’t you?”
“Why did you use me?”
He sighed deeply. “I didn’t. I really did...like you. Last person I liked was my wife, Jeannie.”
“You’re married?” I got up from the bed. He grabbed my hand and pulled me back onto the bed.
“No, she died.”
I went quiet.
“She died before I became The Joker. I was going to be a normal man, her death wasn’t the only reason I became insane.”
“Who was she?” I never really talked to him about the past. We both decided that the past was rubbish.
“Jeannie. She was pregnant when she died, testing something for the baby, and it malfunctioned...” he sighed. “I joined the mob before she died, I was going to do one job with them to get enough money to move with her to a better area, but it didn’t work out. I had to do the job anyways, they got so mad because they thought I was trying to kill them...The job was at my old work, I worked around scientists and stuff, you know? All that assistant stuff...And uh...” 
He licked the insides of his mouth. 
“Uh, one of the men died, the other grabbed a knife and shoved it in my mouth. He asked if I found the whole issue funny, I said no. He laughed darkly, staring at me intently and said to me, “Well, funny guy, it looks like it by the smile on your face”, and then he carved it into my face.” he sighed.
(Alright people who read The Killing Joke, don’t kill me, in The Dark Knight, The Joker has scars so I altered the last bit. Instead of him falling over into chemicals because Batman was threateningly walking towards him while he was an innocent man, I had this happen. To the people who have not read The Killing Joke, you may message me about it if you don’t get what I’m saying in these parentheses)
I ran my fingers over the scars, looking into the face I fell in love with. I sighed.
“Why didn’t you tell me?”
“Because the past is the past. Sometimes, I don’t even remember. I make up different stories, because variety is good. You never told me about your past, my dear.”
I bit my lip, shrugging. “It’s not that important. I just went to Harvard, then got the top job in the medical department. A little while after, my whole family died in front of my eyes, someone set fire to the house, I don’t know who and why, but...” I sighed. “It’s done and over with. Because of that, they locked me in Arkham and took my dream job from me. I also lost my best friend, and my fiancee, but I don’t need them. I’ve gotten over everything.”
He pulled me by the hips, I giggled.
“Well hello there my good sir, are you making said “move” on me?” I batted my eyelashes, he cracked a smile.
“Oh, how I missed that, dear.” he pulled me tight, our lips crashing together in a passionate kiss.
A growl interrupted us, I turned to see Rajan glowering at Jack.
“No, sweetie it’s okay. Momma and him are all good.”
“Wow, he’s gotten big.” Jack sighed, then reached in his pocket and threw him a bone. I awkwardly looked at him.
“You carried that in your pocket this whole time?”
“Yeah. For that little rascal.”
“Well, you could have told me that wasn’t the thing I thought it was, since it was pressed up against me the whole time.”
He laughed loudly, throwing his head back. “You’re not serious!”
“I’m not, it was a good joke though.”
“Indeed it was, you make damn good jokes.”he pulled me close again.
Rajan let a whine of disgust, then scurried off.
Jack grinned when I pushed him on the bed and closed the door with my foot, then jumped onto him, kissing him.
All in all, we had an awesome night.