A surprise letter

June 12th, 2018

Suhng-Han sighs, laying his phone down on his bed after asking Minho to call in a bit. He looks up at his ceiling, trying to decide what to do till he either has to leave or Minho has time to call. His parents have to take Ha-Sun to the hospital again for another check-up, making him worry about his little sister. She seems to just be getting more and more sick, luckily having some good days but he can see she is just tired all the time. He looks up when he hears a soft knock on his bedroom door. "Yeah?"

"Can I come in?" So-Yung softly asks him, holding the doorknob in her hand.

Suhng-Han sits up. "Yeah, sure. Is everything okay?"

So-Yung hums, carefully opening the bedroom door. She smiles when she sees him sitting up, the plate next to his bed empty. "I have something for you."

The boy frowns, eyes falling on the envelope in her hands.

"I know you probably don't want it but she sent you a letter again." So-Yong holds the letter out to him. No matter how many times the boy has turned them down, she still wants him to be aware his mother is sending him letters, not wanting to be in the way of anything.

Suhng-Han hums, taking the letter from So-Yung. "Thanks." He looks down at the envelope, not sure if he wants to open it or not. "Is Sunny in bed already?"

So-Yung nods her head. "Yeah, she was pretty tired. She played with some friends this morning."

"Glad she had fun. What will be the appointment tomorrow?"

"Just a check up, see how everything is going." So-Yung pats his leg. "Everything is going to be okay."

"Yeah, you're right." The boy looks down. "I'm going back to my dorm tomorrow."

So-Yung hums. "Don't want you missing too many classes."

Suhng-Han grimaces, nodding his head. "Yeah, I probably will be gone before you wake up."

"Okay." So-Yung stands up from the bed. "I will let you know if something happens at the hospital."

"Goodnight." Suhng-Han smiles at her as the woman leaves his bedroom, closing the door softly behind her.

Suhng-Han sighs, falling back onto his bed. The envelope still in his hands, he doesn't want to open it, not after the birthday letter but he is curious as to why she suddenly sent him another one so quickly. Taking a deep breath, he grabs his phone, opening his chat with Minho before opening the envelope and reading the letter.

Dearest Son,

It's been a while, I hope you're doing well.

I noticed you haven't replied to my other letter so I'm writing you this one to invite you and your potential partner over for dinner with my family. This way you can meet your siblings.

Please text me on this number xx-xxxxxxxx

Your Mother

Suhng-Han drops the letter, wondering why he feels some sort of jealousy after reading that his mother started a new family while never having given him a chance. Next to him, he hears his phone vibrate, indicating that Minho is calling him, finally. He slowly answers the call, putting Minho on speaker as he doesn't want to bother picking up his phone. "Hey Min."