Chapter 20

"You wanna what?-you seriously think that's okay to do to me?-you can't-I don't like it."
"Devena it's all fake. She doesn't need to know. It's not real baby. I just need to get you and our child out of here alive. And that means that I'll probably have to do some things you're not going to like. I'm sorry but that's how the world works."
"That's not how mine works Tate."
"Devena listen, it's simple. I just go out there, find her and make it seem like I want her. Like I need to be with her at an alarming rate. You said it yourself she likes me, so it won't be that hard to catch her eye. Please Devena. If we don't do this I'm not sure we'll, you'll, get out of here alive..."
"Whatever Tate."
"Devena if I do this I need to know you're on board. If she comes in here you have to play the part. Are you sure you can do that?" A giant breath escapes my lips.
"I guess I don't have a choice." Tate walks over beside me and kisses my cheek.
"I love you Devena. I always did." And then he's gone. On his way to slay the beast.

*****

"Hi Ms. Sanders, is it?" She turns around, curls falling relentlessly off her shoulders.
"You can call me Jules. How can I help you Tate?"
"Is there possibly somewhere we can talk? You know, somewhere Devena can't hear us?" Her eyebrows raise in surprise.
"Very well. Follow me." She leads him to a empty hallway. The sound and smell of the dead have become the walls new coat of paint. I swear if you listen hard enough you can hear the dead still crying for help. "What did you want to talk about?"
"It's just...the moment I saw you...I fell in love. And I never knew what that felt like before honestly. I mean you've seen Devena. One minute she's sun and the next she's pouring down rain. How can you love a person who's so inconstant that they can't even love them self? But God, when I look at you its like I'm breathing in a breath of fresh air, and the feeling of your lips upon mine is one I've been desiring for far too long. I want your hair to fall through my fingers like water. I just want to be in your arms."
"I don't understand. Why did you cause such a commotion when I informed you that she needed to die if you truly loved me? It just doesn't make sense.."
"I had to Jules. She still thinks that I love her and we're going to be together. I have to carry that fantasy out. At least for now. And then when we're sure we don't need her anymore we'll just get rid of her."
"Tate I-"
"Jules, I'm in love with you. I don't care if she needs to die or if the baby doesn't survive. I don't care if I ever see her face again, I want you. I need you." Tate places a hand upon her cheek and slowly moves closer. "Please tell me you love me too." And in that moment their lips meet. A kiss so fake that it almost seemed real. And in that moment Tate knew she was hooked.