I wish I could believe that...

April 18th
You're injured

••••••••

"Look come on, this is ridiculous."

Edmund took a deep breath. "I am quite capable of walking by myself." He told his brother.

Peter gripped Edmund's arm. "You're injured." He pointed out.

"Thanks for that," Edmund murmured. "I hadn't noticed."

Peter sighed. "Ed please stop, or you're gonna hurt yourself even more." He said. "Just sit down for a while whilst I check out your ankle."

"I'm not stopping."

"Ed, you were kidnapped and hurt, please just stop and-"

"I was gone for less than an hour." Edmund grumbled.

Peter sighed, he wasn't wrong. They'd only been out on a walk and he'd been snatched when Peter wasn't looking.

Of course Peter went looking for him straight away, and it wasn't hard to find him... Luckily.

"That doesn't matter, you're still hurt." Peter said. "Just stop-"

"No!" Edmund snapped suddenly, anger in his voice. Mostly anger, but Peter could hear fear as well.

He stared at him, slightly shocked at the sudden outburst from his tired and worn out little brother. "Ed what's wrong?" He asked slowly, trying to make sure his brother didn't put any pressure on his injured ankle.

Edmund stared back, hesitating.

"Talk to me." Peter all but whispered.

Edmund swallowed hard. "I - I just wanna go home." He murmured.

"What happened?" Peter pressed, determined to find out what had his brother so on edge.

Edmund stayed silent for a while, before he sighed. "They said they could bring Her back," He whispered. "That they needed me to do it."

Peter took a deep breath. "That's not true." He told him firmly. "They lied."

Edmund shook his head. "What if they didn't?" He whispered.

"But what if they did?"

Edmund thought for a while, but he just shook his head again. "I'm not taking that chance." He replied.

Peter saw the fear in his brother's dark eyes and found himself nodding. "Okay," He murmured. "We'll get you home, but let me help you okay?"

Edmund was reluctant, but he nodded his head, and let Peter wrap an arm around his waist.

"You know she can never come back, right?" He asked quietly as they walked.

Edmund didn't look up, and swallowed hard. "I wish I could believe that." He whispered. "But I just can't."

••••••••••