I couldn't sleep

January 9th
Look at the stars

•••••

Susan opened her eyes when she heard footsteps, turning her head to see who it was sneaking up on her.

"Oh, Caspian," She said with a small smile when she spotted the Prince. "You're still awake?"

"Seems you are too." Caspian replied quietly, sitting beside her in the grass.

Susan nodded a little, "Yeah," She breathed. "Couldn't sleep."

Caspian nodded in understanding. "Me either." He murmured.

The two sat in silence for a moment or two, before Susan took a deep breath. "What you did - was really brave." She said quietly.

Caspian knew immediately she was talking about at the battle yesterday with Miraz, and gave her a weak smile. "Thank you." He whispered. "Kind of surprised myself I think. I spent the entire time since I ran away thinking how nice it would be if he was just killed - but, when the opportunity comes, I couldn't do it."

Susan nodded slowly, before hesitatantly placing a hand on Caspian's shoulder. "Well, we're all proud of you." She murmured.

Caspian stared at her for ages, before clearing his throat and looking up at the sky. "It's peaceful isn't it?" He breathed. "To come out here and look at the stars."

Susan tore her eyes away from the prince and up to the sky too, staring at the dozens of twinkling lights she could see. "We used to do it a lot during our reign." She explained. "Spend an hour just laying, watching the stars. Peter especially loved it."

Caspian smiled a little, before turning back to Susan. "We should probably try and get some sleep." He told her. "Long day tomorrow."

Susan agreed, slowly standing. "I'll see you in the morning." She whispered.

Caspian nodded. "See you in the morning."

•••••••••••••