t w e n t y o n e

long chapter <3
thank you very much for 10k

~

I hit the record button, holding my headphones to my ears as I lean toward the mic.

"You couldn't save save save," I sing softly. "For the day day day that'd come."

I stop the recording quickly and delete the recording, leaning over my notepad and scribbling it off.

It doesn't feel right.

"You couldn't change change change-" I hum along the next line under my breath, still not feeling it.

A lightbulb flicks, so I quickly scribble an arrow from the line below to point above- wanting to mix it around.

I hit record and ready myself to sing the line.

"It's such a shame shame shame..." I sing softly, almost in a whimper. "You couldn't change look what it cost." I smile and hum softly afterwards. "Like a villain... I couldn't be, I didn't need you, you needed me."

I stop the recording quickly.

"It not you..." I remind myself of the error I keep making, one I feel isn't as good as the lyrics I truly want.

I redo the recording, finally getting it exactly the way I want- correct lyrics and all.

The door to my studio swings open just as I stop the recording.

"Holy fuck-" I curse as I gasp.

"What are you doing?" Noah asks as he walks in, the door shutting behind him.

My heart stops, all the blood in my veins coming to a halt as he walks towards me.

"Nothing-" I quickly grab the notepad and rush to exit out of the recording- not caring if I lose the vocal track.

He grabs my hand just as I'm about to exit.

"Fallon." He says sternly. "What the fuck is this?"

"It's nothing- just a demo..." I mutter and pull my
hand away.

"Give me that." He motions to my notepad.

"No-"

"Fallon, I swear to god." He sighs. "I heard my track, give me the notepad."

"We can talk about this later, just let me shut down-"

"No."

His jaw clenches as he stares down at me, his hand still on the mouse.

I hold out the notepad, which he takes and flips over to read, his eyes darting all over my messy notes.

"What the fuck-" He whispers under his breath.

"I wasn't going to release it, this isn't anything official I just heard the recording yesterday and I just came up with some lyrics-" I stumble over my words.

He finally looks away from the notepad, but not at me... at the laptop.

He quickly goes to the play and plays over the track- including my vocals.

"You couldn't change look what it cost." My voice hums through the speakers. "Like a villain.. I couldn't be, I didn't need it- it needed me."

His face isn't angry anymore, it's completely blank. There's no emotion or any hint of his thoughts for me to perceive.

"Fallon." He hushes his voice.

"What?" I try to play it off.

"You couldn't change, look what it cost?" He says a bit louder. "Is that me?"