t e n

~

I pull into the parking lot with a sharp turn and park in the first empty spot I see before rushing out of my car and jogging toward the doors.

Just as I pull them open, someone behind me holds it for me above my head and I look as I walk through the doorway to see it's Devin.

"Got it?" He asks, smiling.

"Yeah, thank you" I nod. "I was worried I was going to be late."

"Well if you're late, then I am too." He chuckles and we walk over to the hostess.

"Hi there, table for two?" She smiles and we both nod in agreement. "Come on and follow me this way, please."

We follow the young girl to a small booth for the two of us, her setting the menus in front of us as we sit.

"Your waiter will be right over." She smiles before walking away.

I take a deep breath and Devin picks up his menu.

"How was your day?" He asks, looking at me with a small smile.

"Stressful." I huff. "A lot of running around."

"Yeah, you were working huh?"

"Yeah, and I had to meet up with a friend for lunch." I explain. "How about you?"

"It was pretty bland." He shrugs. "Just planning some things with the band and figuring out when we're going to tour next."

"That's exciting- it's going to be your comeback."

We stay quiet for a few seconds, but before being able to talk our waiter comes over and takes our orders for a drink.

He gets an iced tea while I just stick with water, my nerves controlling most of my thoughts in the moment.

"So tell me about yourself." He smiles as the waiter walks away. "I want to know more."

"There isn't too much to know." I chuckle. "I produce and that's about it."

"Come on." He pouts, nudging my leg with his foot.

"Well, what do you want to know?"

"Hmm..." He hums. "What's your life been like the last couple years?"

"Crazy but boring." I start. "Well, my ex boyfriend decided he wanted a break about a year ago and to fly around Europe, then I was going to tour with Bad Omens as a roadie- but it got cancelled, and my sister got engaged so there's been a lot of that. I've just been working a lot and meeting a bunch of bands I've always looked up to."

"Well, that's good- you're great at what you do and I'm sure anyone else you've worked with would agree with that." He smiles. "Sorry to ask- but what happened with your ex? He just left?"

"Y-Yeah..." I look down at the menu. "He wanted to find himself and never came back."

"Is he still..."

"He's alive-" I assure him. "Malory checked his instagram not too long ago and he was posting about Italy."

"Ahh, I getcha." He nods.