f o u r

!!extra long chapter!!

~

I pull into my usual parking spot- one that isn't reserved like most of the employees'.

I rush into the door and use my keycard that I dig out of my bag to get to the recording studio wing.

Room 04 is the one I reside in 90% of the time and unlike most of the others the door is closed, probably due to Richard taking it over- even though he usually occupies room 07.

I unlock the door with my card and immediately hear Richard talking as I open it.

When he sees me in the doorway his expression shifts to annoyance.

"I thought we were supposed to do it on our own?" He taunts.

"Get out of my studio and work on something else- I'll get the sample audio done by 2." I say, completely monotone as I hang my keycard lanyard on the hook next to the door.

I shut the heavy door cautiously so it doesn't slam and drop my bag off my shoulders, hanging it up as well.

"Call Brady in here too, I need to talk to him." I glance at Richards face, complete disgust glaring back at me.

"You're going to do the rest on your own?"

"I'll sure as hell get more done than you have." I hum. "And it's only the sample. I'm sure Devin and Jeff can handle that."

"You're going to work on the first I See Stars single since almost 3 years ago independently?" He scoffs, a cocky smirk on his face.

"I am actually." I smile innocently back at him. "Lord knows it'll be a hell of a lot easier without you by my side."

Nathan, who's been a silent bystander the entire time, let's out a soft chuckle- immediately silencing himself as Richard snaps his head to look over at him.

"Good luck, princess." Richard says, a slight groan leaving his mouth as he stands up from my chair. "It was nice having you work here for a solid 4 months." He pats my shoulder as he passes me, walking out of the room.

Nathan stands up as Richard leaves the door open behind him, grabbing his laptop and unplugging what he needs to.

"Sorry about that-" He sighs. "Everyone agrees he's an asshat, but he's the quickest out of anyone here. That's why they paired you with him."

"If only he wasn't a total idiot." I shrug as I open my bag and pull my own laptop out.

"Ain't that the truth... Just let me know if you need anything with the sample, I can always help you dig for fresh sound bites while you work if you're in a rush."

"I'll be okay, Nathan, thank you." I smile. "Can you just ask Brady to come in here and talk to me whenever he can?"

He nods and grabs his headphones off my desk before passing me and leaving the room.

I shut the door behind him and put my laptop in it's usual spot on my desk, slouching down into my chair. 

I take a deep breath and shut my eyes for a few seconds.

Once I feel calm enough, I plug my laptop into my monitor and my midi soundboard, due to the chord for it not being long enough to reach my right side from my monitor.

I log into my account through my laptop and turning on the monitor so I can see everything I'm doing.

I always keep my laptop screen open, but at a darker brightness so it's not distracting, just as a force of habit from usually having another person with me.