o n e

~

I ring the doorbell for my weekly Friday night visit, hoping she doesn't take too long to answer.

After a second of silence the door swings open to Malory with wet hair and wide smile as she pants, clearly out of breath.

"You're here!" She squeals and pulls me into a hug.

"Why're you all wet?"

"Nicholas and I were doing dishes and he-" She breaks intro laughter. "He accidentally spilled an entire pot of water over me- it kind of broke into a water fight."

"I see." I force a smile.

"Come on in!" She smiles and leads me inside.

I follow her to the kitchen where Nick is drying off dishes.

"Hey!" He smiles. "Nice to see you."

"You too, Nicholas." I hum as I set down the pan of homemade caramel on her counter.

"What's that?" He nods to the pan and Malory gasps, taking it from me.

"It's the caramel!" She squeals. "Try this right now!" She grabs a knife from their silverware drawer and cuts a piece, holding it out for him.

He opens his mouth and she pops it in for him, the second he pulls away and starts chewing she gets a piece for herself.

"That's amazing." He says, his mouth still full of the chewy caramel. "Is it all for us?"

"I made a double batch, this is all yours." I smile.

"Thank god..." Malory hums as she savors the bite she took.

"Why don't you go to the living room?" Nicholas smiles. "I can bring you drinks in a minute."

"I can get them- I'll meet you in there, Fallon." Lory smiles.

I nod and walk to her living room, dropping down onto the couch, seeing Nicholas' Limits music video playing on the TV.

When Noah's face comes on screen, the black sack being lifted off his head to reveal his face and long hair.

I grab the remote and change it before I see any more and turn on an old Motionless in White video.

I lean back comfortably and toss the remote to the other side of the couch.

After a minute or so Malory walks in with two large glasses of what looks like strawberry lemonade.

"Is it spiked?" I ask as she passes it to me.

"No, dummy, I'm trying to stay sober." She scoffs, sitting down next to me. "I made this last night."

I take a sip, the refreshing taste of lemon and strawberry coating my tongue and rushing down my throat.

"Good?"

"Perfect." I clink my glass against hers as we both take a sip.

I set my glass down on the coffee table in front of us, she keeps hers in her lap.

"So, today I have to ask you something big..." She says. "And please don't feel like there's any sort of pressure- I promise you don't have to say whatever will make me happy."

"Yeah..." I raise an eyebrow at her.

"So obviously Nick and I got engaged last Christmas... and now there's only a month until it's June..." She drags along. "We've been planning little things like what we want everything to look like and what venue and the honeymoon-"