Chapter 56

Cassidy froze. The sound of Candy's voice in her ear made her nervous.

Candy pushed her into the apartment, slamming the door behind her. She turned Cassidy around. "Lock the doors now."

Cassidy reached forward and did as she asked. She felt something sharp press into her neck.

"These are my claws. You see I'm a werewolf, unlike you. You're weak and pathetic. I don't know what in the world Malachi Remington sees in you. He's going to be King one day. He doesn't need a weak, pathetic human as his mate. I'm a much better match for him than you are. He just doesn't see it yet because of the stupid bond. Once I get rid of you, it'll break the bond and then I'll be there for him."

Cassidy forced back the panic she was starting to feel. She wondered if Malachi would still be able to feel it even though he wasn't close by.

"I wasn't exactly prepared for this. But, I'm running out of time. I didn't know you were leaving so soon." Candy turned her back to the room and walked her over to a chair.

"Please let me go," Cassidy said.

"No. You're not getting out of this alive. I can't believe he marked you," she said in disgust.

Cassidy felt the panic well up inside her and pushed it back down. Her phone started to ring and she knew it was Malachi.

"Who's calling you? Is it him?" Candy asked, pushing Cassidy down in the chair.

"I don't know."

"Liar. It's him, isn't it?" Candy demanded. She grabbed a roll of the tape that Malachi had been using to tape the boxes shut.

"I don't know," Cassidy said, forcing back the tears. She knew it was him. He'd called when she was in the elevator because she'd panicked a bit. She was panicking much more now.

"Where is he?" Candy growled.

"He went to go get the moving truck." She screamed as Candy dug her claws into her side.

A sharp pain went through her head and everything went black.

***

"Is she okay?" Dominic asked Malachi when he disconnected the call.

"Yeah, she's fine. I will be so glad when she gets out of that place," Malachi muttered in disgust.

"Has she been staying there all this time?" Caleb asked him. They were on the elevator, headed down to the lobby.

"No. She's been mostly staying with me. She can't afford to heat the place and it's so drafty she's basically paying to heat half of New York City." Kai crossed his arms over his chest.

"Sounds like somebody needs to take that guy to court," Daniel muttered.

"I'm half tempted," Kai sighed.

They walked out of the hotel and got into two separate vehicles. Daniel and Caleb took a car to Cassidy's apartment while Malachi and Dominic went after the moving truck.

The place wasn't far, and they got out of the car as the first wave of panic hit Malachi. He stopped.

Dominic glanced back at him. "Kai?"

"Something is wrong," he said. He pulled out his phone and called Cassidy again. It rang and rang, and eventually went to voicemail.

"What are you feeling?" Dom asked him.

"Panic. Fear. Nothing." He looked up at Dominic. "I gotta go."

"Right behind you," Dom said.

Kai took off running towards her apartment, wishing he could shift. Are you guys close?