Chapter 30

She'd been on the phone part of the trip with her sister, and Malachi got the impression her sister wasn't too thrilled they hadn't told Cassidy about her mother either. She'd been against it, but her parents had thought it was for the best and her sister hadn't gone against them.

Callie was her name and she was staying for now at their parent's house and thought Cassidy should do the same. Malachi found it interesting that Callie called Cassidy Cassie.

"I'm not coming alone," Cassidy had told her sister.

"Who's with you?" Callie had asked suspiciously.

Cassidy had looked at Malachi at that point. "My boyfriend."

Boyfriend. He'd smiled at that, but he supposed it was better at this point than telling her sister that he was her mate. If he was human, that would be what he was. He was glad she viewed him that way.

"I didn't know you were seeing anyone," Callie had responded.

"Yeah. I am," Cassidy said. "It's new, but he's pretty amazing."

That thrilled him even more.

"Okay, well, Jude is here with me for the next few days. We're heading back home on Tuesday after the funeral," Callie told her.

"Okay," Cassidy said.

"Do we need to come get you from the airport?" Callie asked.

She glanced at Malachi who shook his head. "No. Don't worry about us. We'll make it there."

"Alright. We'll see you soon, Cassie."

Cassidy disconnected the call and leaned her head back against the seat with a small sigh.

Malachi reached over and took her hand in his. She'd managed to not cry since this morning, but he knew that was probably coming to an end soon. "Your sister calls you Cassie?"

"Yeah. She always does. So do my parents," she murmured.

He nodded. She was distracted now.

She suddenly looked at him. "Thank you for bringing me, and for coming with me, Malachi."

He gave her a small smile. "Of course, Cass."

She rested her head on his shoulder and he sighed internally. At some point, he needed to tell her everything. He hoped she would be okay with it all, otherwise, she was going to rip his heart out. He was falling for her.

He'd decided to rent a car for the duration of their stay, and once the plane landed, they picked it up and began the trip to her parent's house. It took about an hour to get there, and Malachi looked over the small town she'd grown up in. It was bigger than his own, but still small and was right on the Intracoastal Waterway.

They finally pulled up in front of a house and she took a deep breath. "I'm dreading this."

"I know, but I'm here for you," he said, taking her hand and bringing it to his lips.

She looked at him and nodded. "I'm glad." She reached over and opened the door and climbed out.

Malachi did as well, and grabbed their bags, then followed her into the house. It was nice and homey inside and he relaxed until the scent of werewolf smacked him in the face, surprising him, and his gaze settled on a man sitting on the couch. An Alpha.

His mind immediately began to run over what he knew of the packs near by. Cape Fear Pack ran by one Alpha Jude Carson, who happened to be mated to Cassidy's sister? He supposed it made sense. It did tend to run in human families. And apparently Cassidy had no idea. She'd told him her sister was married.