Chapter 35

Cassidy stared at Malachi in shock, trying to wrap her head around what he was saying. He would be King one day? She didn't know what to say to that, but one thought occurred to her. Why did he want to be mated to her? She wasn't a werewolf. She definitely wasn't cut out to be Queen or whatever she would be. She stared down at her hands. The sick feeling she'd been experiencing was still there. "You have to reject me because I'm not good enough?"

"What? No, Cass. No way. If I had to reject you, I would have done that the first day I saw you. Being King is not what you think. I'm not going to be sitting on a throne or anything like that. It's just a title. I told you, I'm not a suit guy. I don't anticipate being King for a long time. My mom has only been Queen for five years," he said.

She wasn't sure how she felt about all of this. It was a lot. "I'm not good at being in the limelight, Mr. Remington."

He sighed. "I sort of wish we hadn't met in New York City."

She looked up in surprise. Was he saying he wished he hadn't met her?

"This is not me Cass. I'm a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy who lives alone in an apartment in the pack house. I'm not a billionaire playboy who spends all of his time in the limelight. Most of the werewolf community would never know who I am if they saw me. Alpha Jude had no idea who I was until I told him. This here is all a facade."

"What does your mother think of all of this?" she asked.

"She's annoyed with me for not being more upfront with you, though she understands why. But she's happy I found you, and she wants it to work between us. She's also glad you're not married," he said with a smile.

"Married?"

"Her mate was married with children," he said quietly.

"Your father?"

"He's her second chance, and a man much more suitable for her. Her first mate was the one that was married," he said.

"Am I going to have to wear a crown?"

He laughed. "When we're crowned. But otherwise, I hope not."

She nodded. "Is there anything else you are going to drop on me?"

"Yeah, but everyone is leaving, and I need to say goodbye, and then we'll talk some more," he said.

"Okay. What about work?"

"Dominic got a lot of it done while we were gone. And Cass, you're my number one priority. You're so much more important to me than an acquisition," he said softly.

That melted her heart. She watched him stand, his gaze still on her as he walked over to the door. He touched her arm and the tingles moved between them. He opened the door and she stood and followed him out.

The members of Big Apple Pack left and Malachi said good bye to his mother, father and Dominic privately. All three of them also said goodbye to Cassidy.

"It's nice to meet you, Cassidy. I hope to see you again soon," Noelle told her with a smile.

Cassidy smiled back at her. "Nice to meet you too."

She watched them leave and Malachi turned back to her once they were on the elevator and the door shut. "Come on."

She followed him back to the meeting room and he closed the door behind her, then walked over and sat down in a chair.  She sat down as well.

"Okay, I'm going to tell you everything else. Then it's up to you what you want to do. You already know I want to have a relationship with you. I want you as my mate, Cassidy. But if you decide you don't want any part of this, any part of my world, I just ask that you sever our bond. I will respect your decision and accept the rejection," he said. "Now I don't want you to think that I want you to reject me because that couldn't be any further from the truth. I just need you to know that it's an option."