Chapter 44

Malachi stared down at his phone, reading over the text message from Daniel.

Meeting is set for Tuesday at 10am.

He glanced up at Cassidy. "So the acquisition meeting is going to be Tuesday."

"Do we need to have all this done by then?" she asked, motioning to the entire apartment.

"Not necessarily. We'll do what we can. If it's not done, we'll stay until it is," he said.

"Okay," she said.

They'd went and got boxes that morning, first thing, and now they were in her apartment, setting to work.

"Are you going to turn the heat on?" Malachi asked her after they'd been packing for an hour.

"Are you cold, Mr. Remington?" she asked. She'd been pulling clothes out of her closet and folding them. "How big is your closet?"

"Almost as big as your apartment," Malachi told her.

She stopped and stared at him. "Shut up."

He laughed.

"Is it really?"

"Yeah. Really. And you'll have plenty of room," he said, watching her face.

"So it's not filled with a bunch of stupidly expensive tailored suits, and whatever royalty wears?" She grabbed another top and began folding it.

"Whatever royalty wears?" he asked with a roll of his eyes as he finished packing up her plates and closed the box.

"Yeah, what do you wear for like formal events?" Cassidy closed up her box as well.

"Suits. Maybe a tux if I needed to," he said, taping the box shut.

"And where's your crown?"

"In a vault. And it will probably never see the light of day again until we have a male pup," he said.

"What do you mean?" Cassidy asked him as she walked over and flipped on the heat.

"I have only worn it once and it was when my mother was crowned Queen. Five years ago. Next time will be when I'm crowned, and it won't be the same one I wore," he explained. Who knew when that would be. He didn't care, but he'd probably have grown pups of his own.

"And if we have a female pup?" she asked.

"She won't wear my crown. It's too.. big and bulky. She'd need someone feminine and dainty," he said quietly.

"So is there a picture somewhere of you at this event?" she asked curiously.

"Of course. You can probably watch it online if you want to." Kai smiled at her.

"Oh definitely." Her eyes sparkled. "Can we bring it up on the TV and watch it?"

He laughed. "Yeah, if that's what you want to do." His gaze traveled back to Cassidy as he taped her box shut as well, imagining her pregnant with his pup. He smiled to himself. "Your kitchen is packed up."

She stopped and frowned. "How did you do that so fast?"

"Because it's cold in here," he grimaced. He couldn't imagine her staying in here the entire winter. It really annoyed him.

"You want to get my books?"

He glanced at her bookshelf, and curiosity made him agree. "Yeah I'd like to see what you read."

"Pure smut," she said. "Only romance I've had in my life in a long time."

"And what am I?"

"My own personal romance novel. You can qualify as my book boyfriend. We've had some pretty smutty scenes over the last three weeks." She opened up a dresser door and pulled out a lacy black thong.