Chapter 26

"Your own mother?" Cassidy seemed even more horrified now, and he realized how upset she was. He hadn't meant to upset her, especially not today of all days.  He was supposed to be comforting her.

"She's broken my ribs plenty of times. She's not very tall, but she's fast." Her face was priceless. "You do realize when I shift, every bone in my body changes, right? I have a very high pain tolerance."

She tipped her head sideways as she stared at him. "I didn't think about that. Does it hurt?"

"No. But having my bones broken like that does, especially my ribs because it feels like I can't breathe. However, I heal very fast. By the time I'm out of the gym, I'm healed. Just might be sore for a bit after," he said with a smile.

"You heal fast?" Now she was just curious, and more relaxed than she had been at first.

"Yeah. Very fast," he said. He reached up and grabbed a pocketknife off the nightstand and opened it, then shoved it through his hand, causing her to gasp. He pulled it back out, and the wound closed up immediately.

She took his hand in her own, looking it over, and rubbing the spot, before she looked back at him. "Wow. Did that hurt?"

He shrugged then gave her a half smile. "Now what do you want on your pizza?" He was going to waste away if they didn't get some food soon. Skipping lunch hadn't been ideal.

"Onions and mushrooms," she said after a moment of thought.

"Good choice. I might eat whatever you don't," he said, placing the order on his phone. Her choice helped him decide what he wanted. He'd get something different.

She shook her head at him. "You're unbelievable."

He smirked. "And you're beautiful."

Her cheeks turned pink, and she laid her head back down on his chest. "Thank you for distracting me today, Malachi."

"Always, Cass." He tightened his arms around her and kissed her forehead. He wanted to kiss her lips, but he doubted she was in the mood for that. Maybe later.

Their pizza arrived a half hour later and Malachi got up and went to the door to get it, paying the delivery guy in cash and leaving him a good tip. He wouldn't want to deliver pizza in New York City. It would be a nightmare. 

Cassidy walked out a moment later, after the delivery guy had left, still in just his shirt, causing him to study her bare legs. She sat down at the table, and he grabbed some plates, then brought her two slices of her own and four slices of his, sitting across from her.

She sat for a moment, staring at him, then picked up her pizza and began to eat it slowly. Her mind was elsewhere, he could tell. He wanted to ask questions, but he'd wait until she was ready to talk to him. Eventually, he knew she'd open up. If not, he would finally ask.  

The pizza wasn't bad though. "This is almost as good as Bri's pizza." He got up after he'd polished off the first four pieces and grabbed the rest of his.

"Who's Bri?" she asked after a few moments of watching him eat.

"The chef at our pack house. She's amazing. I live for pizza nights," he said, before finishing off his sixth piece.

"If everyone eats like you, how many does she make?" she asked curiously.

"Well, she usually doesn't just make pizza, and we're all limited to four slices each," he said.

She shook her head. "I can't even imagine. Somebody helps her, right? "

He smiled. "Oh yeah. I think she makes the dough ahead of time too." He did miss Bri's cooking.