chapter eighteen.

April

Hot, scorching desire curls through me relentlessly. I reach greedily for Nik, locking my hands behind his neck. "I want you inside me," I gasp out. "Please, Nik. I want you to fuck me."

He looks so completely turned on by the idea, a hunger in his eyes that I want to satiate. He kisses me deep, tilting my head with a strong grip on my jaw. I reach for his cock and stroke it—it's already hard again. Maybe it never even softened.

Pulling him with me, I lie down on my back as he mouths at my throat. His erection nudges my entrance and this emptiness inside me is horrible. I need to be filled more than I need oxygen.

But then, "Wait, wait." Nik pulls away from me, expression confused. His eyes look different, brighter, but I don't know why. I don't care. I just want more of him. My hands reach up, but he catches my wrists. "April, stop. This isn't...something isn't right."

"What are you talking about?" Reed questions, licking a long stripe up my chest and then sucking on one of my sensitive nipples. I arch up into him, a soft cry leaving my mouth.

Nik rubs a hand over his face. "We're not ourselves. Cut it out." He slaps the back of Reed's head, who growls at him with a flash of amber eyes. "We're going to end up hurting her," Nik insists. "This is–this is the grimoire. It's affecting our actions."

"What?" I'm confused, my brain addled with lust. Grimoire? What is he talking about?

But then it starts coming back to me, trickling in slowly like memories resurfacing. We're on a mission to find the grimoire and save our pack. We shouldn't be getting distracted like this.

I push myself up onto my hands, blinking rapidly. I feel so completely out of control of my own body and it's terrifying.

"We need to-..." Nik swallows thickly and tries again. "We need space from her. Reed, let's go." He manages to stand and staggers away from me. Reed pinches the bridge of his nose like he's trying to clear this fog from his mind.

"Wait." I feel tears prick at my eyes. The craving inside me is burning and painful now. "Don't leave me here."

"We have to, April. We need to–to break out of this haze," Nik insists. The hunger hasn't completely receded from his gaze as he looks at my naked form. "Reed, get up!"

Reed stumbles to his feet and goes in the other direction.

"It's going to be ok," Nik assures me before they both disappear, racing off into the forest. And I am left alone in the dark with only the crackling fire to keep me company.

Now that they are gone and the spell has somewhat broken, I feel a painful twinge between my legs that was hidden before beneath the consuming desire. Still, though, I get the overwhelming urge to reach down and touch myself.

I am sweaty and covered in come, burning up and frustrated. I stumble to my feet and race through the forest, twigs and rocks digging into my soles as I go.

The gushing sounds of the river are like music to my ears and I don't hesitate, jumping into the water and letting it rush over my head, blocking out the world around me.

It is freezing cold, but exactly what I need, shocking me out of the hazy state I was stuck in before.

God, what was I thinking? How did I let myself become so overrun with lust? It is easy to admonish myself now, but just a few minutes ago the desire was stronger than anything I'd ever felt.

I resurface with a gasp, pushing back wet strands of hair out of my face.

But I go completely still at a low rumbling sound. My eyes widen when I realize that on the edge of the river, staring straight at me, is a large black bear.