prologue.

Nikolai

The stench of werewolves is strong even from here, where I stand hidden amongst the dense foliage of the forest.

April and her werewolf Prince are with several other wolves, eating lunch in a field not far from the pack's house.

Finding the werewolf packhouse was no easy feat; the countersurveillance of the werewolves is methodical and careful. They take indirect routes from New Haven to their house, shaking any possible tails. But eventually, I managed to follow one of them and track them back here.

Now, I watch from a distance as April reclines against Reed's chest and he kisses the side of her head, feeding her a piece of fruit.

My eyes roll so hard they nearly fall right out of my head.

It has been close to a month since April came to my house and declared she wanted me. And close to a month since she left in tears and stated she never wanted to see me again.

Unfortunately, given the way she is currently fawning over Reed, I don't think her feelings have changed. But, fortunately, they should complete the mating ceremony this full moon—in five days—and then at least she will be immortal.

I turn and silently pick my way through the forest until I am far enough from the werewolves not to be heard. I am about to zip off, back toward New Haven, when a peculiar and out-of-place scent catches my attention.

It's not the scent of werewolves, nor of humans...it's the scent of vampires.

I try to follow the trail, but it seems to disappear at a jagged cliffside, overlooking more green forestry. I suppose it's possible the Council of Elders sent scouts to find New Haven pack's home-base before they decided to sign the final treaty ensuring peace. It wouldn't surprise me at all; the Council firmly believes in the saying 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer'. They would probably want to know where the pack is stationed so, if the treaty fails for some reason, they can mount an ambush.

Still, it bothers me as I head back to New Haven. When I arrive at my estate, I slip my phone out of my pocket and call Beatrice. She's in New York, helping finalize the treaty with the Council.

"I can't talk long, Nik," she says in lieu of an actual greeting.

"I'm wondering if the Council sent scouts to look for New Haven pack's home-base," I tell her. "Did you hear anything about that?"

"No, they wouldn't have. Part of the treaty is that the forest on the outskirts of New Haven belongs to the werewolves. Vampires aren't supposed to go up there," she replies. "Why? Nik, please don't do anything to jeopardize this truce. You can't go into New Haven pack territory."

"It's fine," I assure her and she groans in frustration.

"I mean it, Nikolai! Do not screw this up," she warns.

"I'll let you get back to your very important business." I hang up the phone and head up the stairs of my house.

There are two particularly beautiful, naked women waiting for me in bed.

April isn't the only one that can have fun with someone else.

It's all irrelevant and meaningless though; in the end, we will come back together. I am sure of it.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Welcome to Book 2 of 'Werewolf and Vampire Mate'! I was going to do this in a seperate Wattpad book, but then I thought it's just easier to add to the same one. So I've separated out the two books with a chapter and I sincerely can't wait for anyone who's reading this story, to get stuck into the second book!