special chapter two.

North

I've gotten myself into trouble before.

I was suspended and nearly expelled for fighting during my brief stint in a human high school.

About five years ago, Heath and I got arrested for stealing clothes off someone's washing line after a night we spent drunkenly changing in and out of our wolf forms.

Last year, we all got yelled at by our Alpha—Reed's father—for pulling a particularly hilarious prank on the emissaries involving a bucket-load of whipped cream.

I'm no stranger to being in trouble. But this is a new kind of trouble. The consequences are very, very real. I could lose my mate if I stuff this up and there is nothing in the world more important to me than her.

From across the living room, I watch as April helps Reed cook dinner. It is effortless between them, despite everything they have been through. He wraps his arms around her from behind and kisses her cheek while she peels potatoes.

Everyone else is outside, so this is my chance to ensure April reaches out to Harper. I made my mate a promise and I can't break it.

I head across the living room and stop at the kitchen bench.

April smiles tentatively—she thinks I hate her, which isn't true at all. Although I admit we probably wouldn't be friends under normal circumstances, I have respect for her.

"You need to call Harper," I say, my voice more tense and gruff than I'd like. April's eyes go wide.

"What?"

"North, we spoke about this," Reed warns me.

"All I'm asking is that you reach out to her and make sure she's alright," I insist. "Have you even spoken to her since you went to New York?"

April looks down at the bench, where she holds a skinless potato. Guilt twists her pale features. "No," she says. "I don't want to lie to her."

"So don't lie. Just don't tell her everything—that's not lying," I say, trying to forget the lies that I twisted myself in when I saw Harper earlier today.

"It's keeping secrets and I hate keeping secrets from her," April whines.

I plant my hands on the kitchen counter. "Then tell her the truth!"

"Watch it," Reed cautions.

"Fucking hell," I mutter. "This doesn't need to be so complicated. Just reach out and speak to her."

"Why are you all of a sudden asking me to do this?" April questions, suspicion in her voice.

"Because I have a vested interest in my mate's emotional state and I'm pretty sure she isn't going to be happy that her best friend has suddenly stopped speaking to her," I snap before turning and stalking away.

That...didn't go great.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

Harper

My dorm room is a disaster.

Piles of clothes line every available surface. I can hardly move an inch without tripping over a tangle of fabric.

My father pays extra so I have a more spacious dorm, with plenty of room for a couch and television, a big bed, a full-sized dresser and vanity table. But right now, it just looks like an ugly mass of clothes.

Usually, for a first date, April would help me get ready. She is great at picking outfits and styling them—far better than I am. And, as loath as I am to admit it, I'm nervous about my date with North tonight because I want it to go well.