chapter seven.

Orson

I knock on the bathroom door again, worried that April might have hurt herself in her panic. I want to give her space to process what must be mind blowing information, but the urge to be near her is overwhelming. Just having her out of my line of sight is painful.

"Can you open the door?" I ask and hear the shower turn off. I listen closely and can hear that her heartbeat isn't as out of control as it was before. The door inches open and my mouth goes dry.

There is nothing more beautiful than her and, right now, nothing more heartbreaking. Her eyes are red from tears and she sniffles a little as water slides down her face and chest.

A white towel is clutched around her body, her hair slicked back and dripping with water.

Any fantasy I have ever had is rendered obsolete by the sight of her like this. I know in my bones I will never dream of wanting another. How could I, when she is so fucking perfect?

"I'll uh...I'll get you something to wear," I manage to get out, trying to keep my voice even. If she does not get dressed soon, I will try something that will not end well for either of us.

Trying to keep my composure, I stride over to my duffel bag. All of our cars have go bags in them, in case of emergencies. The sports car North and I drove to the event last night sits outside in the motel parking lot.

I reach in and fish out a dark green t-shirt for her, then pass it through the crack in the bathroom door.

Attempting to be patient—and trying not to remember the sight of her practically naked after she dropped her dress and ran into the bathroom—I stand like a statue beside the window of the motel room. 

Finally, she emerges, wearing my shirt. Her legs are largely exposed and I eye them, trying to rein in my raging desire.

She should only wear this for the rest of her life, I think. My clothes on her body. My scent all over her. It's almost too much to handle.

I blink, knowing that my wolf eyes will have overtaken their usual shade.

She's scared and confused right now, I can't lose sight of that.

"Are you ok?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest so that I don't reach out for her. Any attempts to bring her close will only drive her away at the moment.

"I want to know the truth," she says shakily, sinking down onto the bed. She crosses her legs and looks up at me, eyes round and glassy. "Is it all real? Everything...all the stories..."

"Just werewolves and vampires," I tell her. "A long time ago, thousands of years in the past, there were supposedly other species. But they were hunted to extinction or died out. Only the werewolves and vampires endure."

"How many people know? Does the Government know?"

I shake my head. "We keep it quiet. It's forbidden for humans to be told unless..." I haven't explained the concept of mates yet and it's a complex matter. "There are special exceptions, but largely we don't tell anyone. There are some wolves and vampires that choose to go into human politics." Distaste at the idea runs through me. "But they know they have to keep our secret."

She eyes me for a moment and I hate the distrust so clear in her expression. "Were you...turned into a werewolf?"

"I was born this way, April. All werewolves are born. You can't be turned into one; that's a myth."

"And–and vampires?" She stumbles over the word, like she can't believe she's saying it.

"They're turned. Vampires can't procreate, so the only way their existence continues is by turning humans. But they're immortal, so unless they're killed they just...never die."