chapter three.

Nikolai

"Are you certain this is a good idea?" Beatrice asks, standing regally beside me, looking every bit like the queen she once was. She may have lost her crown hundreds of years ago, but she is still extremely respected amongst our kind. As other vampires socialize throughout the large entertaining room, Beatrice and I stand near the fireplace. I regard each and every one of my fellow vampires with the suspicion they deserve. Trust is a fool's way to an early death; I learnt that lesson a long time ago.

"It's a brilliant idea," I tell her. "Why wouldn't it be?"

She raises a perfectly manicured eyebrow. "Why wouldn't it be a good idea to bring an unclaimed Kindred into a house full of vampires? Oh, I'm certain I don't know," she says sarcastically.

I take a measured sip of my drink. Alcohol is a poor substitute for the euphoria that comes from fresh blood, but it's what I have available. Besides, since meeting April, the only thing I have been craving is her. Everything else pales in comparison and I am yet to even try her.

"I want to make it perfectly clear to every vampire in the vicinity that she's mine. Tonight will do that." It's only a matter of time before another vampire stumbles upon April at Yale University and snaps her up. These days especially, Kindred are rare jewels. If I make it clear from now that she belongs to me, then I shouldn't encounter problems in the future.

"And what about the other issue?" Beatrice questions and I sigh irritably.

Ah, the other issue.

"The wolves aren't coming till later. By then, April will be either in my bed or on her way home. Either way, far away from those animals."

Beatrice shakes her head, smirking. "You are a walking nightmare, Nikolai Goncharov."

"Yes, well–" My voice dies a swift death in my throat as I become acutely aware of the sweet scent of April. It is a mix of strawberries and flowers blooming in Summer. I am not the only one who notices; nearly every vampire in the room looks toward the entrance of the house, where April has just stepped inside.

She is stunning, a vision in blue. Contrasting her dress, her vibrant red hair falls in long curls over one shoulder. The creamy skin of her arms and neck are completely exposed. Her deep blue dress is a work of art, a perfect portrayal of the night sky. Silver gems shimmer like stars across the sheer material. It cinches at her waist and cascades to the floor in layers upon layers of meticulously stitched fabric.

Every vampire in this room wants her—I can feel it. But she is mine.

I blindly place my drink down on a table and stride forward, eating up the distance between us in a matter of seconds. Her tempting, sweet smell grows stronger as I approach her. Despite my near perfect control of my bloodlust, she tempts me desperately.

"Hi," she breathes, twisting her hands together nervously in front of her.

"You look stunning," I tell her, because it is what she deserves to hear. She should hear it every day of her life, preferably beneath me whilst wearing no clothes.

Her cheeks flush at my compliment and she runs her hands down her dress. She made it. I have spent every night since I met her watching her—from afar—in her dorm room. I have seen the way she lovingly handles fabrics as she sews them together, the sketches she agonizes over and the way she packs it all up into a trunk at the end of the night as though it is something shameful, something to be hidden. She is a talent waiting to be discovered and I fully intend to show her that.

"Thank you for inviting me," she says. If only she knew this entire event was for her. Well, mostly. There is a joint-cause, I suppose: to demonstrate to the rest of my community that April is not available, and as a reconciliation event between the wolves and vampires. Though I loath to be the host to the latter, Beatrice talked me into it.