special chapter three.

Harper

It's funny how being infatuated with someone makes class even more agonizing. My morning lecture drags on and on. I flick my pen between my fingers, jiggle my leg up and down, shift in my seat.

The girl sitting beside me sends me a glare and I grimace apologetically. I must seem like the most annoying person in the entire world right now.

But how am I supposed to concentrate on Ancient Greek politics when I know that North is waiting to take me out to lunch?

I don't want to be stuck in this lecture theater, I want to be out doing something. Preferably with North.

Ever since our date two nights ago, I can hardly stop thinking about him. He invades my every waking moment, with thoughts of his lips and his stubble and the way his finger felt inside of me–

"...Although the specific terms of the Treaties of Callias aren't well documented, they ultimately did contribute to peace between Athens and the Persian Empire..." My lecturer's voice is a lullaby of boring background noise.

The moment he declares the class over, I leap out of my seat and bound out of the lecture theater, across the green lawn outside and toward where North is waiting for me patiently. He's leaning back against his car, wearing a black leather jacket and a navy t-shirt that brings out his eyes.

I almost throw myself into his arms again, but I did that the last time I saw him. Best not to try it again. Instead, I skid to a stop in front of him, my hair blowing in my face. "Hi!"

A small smile lifting his lips, he reaches out and brushes my hair back for me. "Hey, Harper."

His voice is always quiet and low. He isn't like me, blurting out anything that comes to mind. He chooses his words carefully, like each one matters and holds weight.

"So, I was thinking for lunch there's this nice restaurant not far from here–"

"I already have plans for us," he interrupts gently. "I thought after a morning of classes, you probably wouldn't feel like sitting at a table to eat."

My heart swells and I nod enthusiastically. He straightens up, stepping away from the car, and opens the door for me.

On the way to wherever we are headed, I tell him about the History courses I'm taking and how they bore me half to death.

"Why do you do it?" He asks as we head out of New Haven and onto a winding road, trees towering all around us.

"What?"

"College. You don't seem to like it at all," he says.

"It's not that I don't like it. I'm just...no good at it."

"You struggle with the content?" he wonders.

"I understand the content. But I find it hard to sit down and actually get any substantial amount of work done. Sometimes I think I don't like being told what to do. It's not an authority thing, it's just that when I know I have to do something...it's like I can't. It's why I'm always so behind. But then, sometimes, I get these bursts of concentration and I can get a lot of work done." I shrug, feeling embarrassed. "I don't know, it doesn't matter. I graduate at the end of the year."

"Why'd you stick it out if you never really liked it?"

I look down at my fidgeting fingers, wishing he would reach over and hold my hand like he did last time I saw him. "Oh. Well...I can't not have a degree."

He frowns. "Why not?"

"I don't know. I just...can't. I can't drop out. It would reflect poorly on my father."