chapter seventeen.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Another filthy chapter, whoops. Just a little warning, there are parts of this chapter that could be considered dub-con (dubious consent) if you squint. I don't think it should trigger anyone because it's really not overt, but stay safe my lovelies.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

Orson

We aren't as close as we should be to the mountain, but night falls and it's too dangerous to continue on further when we're unsure how the grimoire is going to affect us.

We set up camp in a protected little clearing and I start a fire so April can keep warm. Nikolai wraps the blanket around her shoulders and uses the bag, filled with clothes, to make a pillow for her.

Sweat beads on my forehead and I wipe it away. "Maybe we don't need the fire. It's pretty warm."

Nikolai nods his agreement, wafting his shirt away from his chest. There's still some of my blood staining the front of it.

"I'm not hot," April says, pulling the blanket tighter around her. "It's a cool night."

I exchange a confused glance with Nikolai. "Hardly," he mutters as I settle down beside her, trying to share my body heat with her.

She leans her head on my shoulder and her sweet scent envelopes me.

Why does she always have to smell so mouth-wateringly delicious?

Unintentionally, I feel arousal slip through my bloodstream and I start to harden in my jeans.

All I can think about is April's naked body, the way she cries my name when she comes...

The urge to pin her to the forest floor and take her right now crashes into me like a tidal wave, nearly sweeping me up in its intensity.

"Fuck," I swear, standing up and striding a few paces away from her.

"Reed, what's wrong?" Her voice is filled with concern.

"I think it's happening again." I look at Nikolai, but he's already staring intently at April, like the exact same thoughts are running through his mind.

"Guys..." April looks between us, apprehensive. "What's going on?"

I blink rapidly, trying to maintain my sanity. "We need to...We need to get away from you...April, you should..."

Whatever I was about to say drifts away. There are no concerns or thoughts in my head, just pure, animalistic need.

And it is all concentrated on her.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

April

This can't be happening again. Only a few hours ago, Nik and Reed were overcome with such anger that they lost their minds. Now, that same cloud has flooded their gazes again.

Only this time, they are looking at me like they want to rip every shred of clothing from my skin.

I am worried these infections are only going to grow worse as we get closer to the mountain. The last seemed to be focused on wrath, this is clearly lust...is the grimoire going to put us through all seven of the deadly sins?

And why do I not feel it the way they do?

Only when I reach for the part of Reed that rests in my chest—our connection—do I feel sudden and sharp desire flow through me.

An ache begins between my legs.

"Guys, we should all just like...walk in opposite directions or something." I am clutching the blanket around me like it's a lifeline, but even I am starting to feel a little warm, like the same fever that took them is now seeping into me.