chapter thirteen.

Content warning: this chapter is filthy.

Nikolai

I would like to consider myself a rather controlled man.

But the taste of April's blood is fresh in my mouth and her neck continues to bleed and I very nearly give in to temptation and throw her to the floor of this clearing to finish what we have nearly started so many times.

Unfortunately, she is too busy staring at her werewolf.

"Reed?" she questions, shaking like a leaf. When a vampire claims a Kindred, as I have now claimed April, it is natural to spend time in private—preferably in a bed. Being exposed like this, having her attention divided, claws at me. It's wrong.

Reed's glowing gaze pins to me. "There's an old cabin my pack used a few decades ago about three miles from here. Take her there."

I give him a resolute nod. Although we may be mortal enemies, there is one thing we can agree on and it is keeping April safe.

"You're not going anywhere," Wickham protests and the Nightcrawlers start to get antsy.

"If you want us to complete the mating ceremony, then this is the most vital part," Reed growls. "Besides, you no longer issue me commands."

Wickham arches an eyebrow. "We still hold your pack hostage."

"And that is the only reason I will return in a day's time," Reed snaps back. "Until then, it would be best if you let my mate leave." The moon has hit its peak and the bones beneath Reed's skin begin to move. "Do you really think it's smart to take on a werewolf alpha during a full moon?"

Wickham has the good sense to look intimidated. Even I doubt I would be able to beat Reed right now.

"Take her," he growls at me, just as the transformation starts to wash over him.

I grab April's arms, pulling her into my chest.

She gasps, but clings to me comfortably, as though it is where she belongs. It is.

Reed's body contorts and then a large, snarling black wolf stands in his place.

I lift April into my arms. Wickham and the Nightcrawlers begin to flee, back toward the caves, but Reed takes chase, tearing apart several of the Nightcrawlers and leaving their bodies in flames.

April whimpers—she's been exposed to far too much bloodshed lately—and I take off through the trees in the opposite direction, searching for the cabin Reed told me about.

It takes me ten or so minutes to find it.

The dilapidated structure leans to one side, moss crawling up the exterior. Her face buried beneath my jaw, I carry April inside.

There is a small bed, though it looks like it would collapse given the slightest push.

I let April slide down my body. She keeps herself attached to me and I hold onto her.

"You're ok," I assure her quietly. "You're safe."

But her breathing is uneven; she's seconds away from spiraling into a panic attack.

"Easy, lyubov' moya. Just breathe. Look at me."

Her eyes ping to mine.

"This mess...We will work our way through it together. Everything will be fine."

But I can hear her heart beating so fast I am afraid she's going to pass out. I do the only other thing I can; I lean my head down and press our lips together.