chapter twenty-one.

Nikolai

Leading April down into the crypt beneath the Church to meet with the Council of Elders feels inherently wrong. She doesn't belong down here, in this place of darkness and death. She belongs in the sunshine, in the light, in a place of beauty.

But this is necessary; both her and I know it. Still, I can tell she's scared. She is holding onto my hand tight enough that if I were human, it would hurt.

The meeting space is filled to the brim when we arrive. April sinks into my side and I don't blame her. Every pair of eyes in the room snaps to her the moment we step foot inside. She is a temptation to all and a fascination to most.

There hasn't been this much fanfare over a human since that Harker nonsense in the 1800s.

"Nik?" She breathes.

"It's alright," I assure her. The crowd parts for us so we can make our way up to the front of the space, before the Council. Beatrice stands to the side and our eyes meet briefly.

Ozius and the other Council members sit there comfortably. It doesn't seem they've moved an inch from when I was last down here.

"Nikolai Goncharov," Ozius booms. His tone is less amicable than it was last time. "You bring the human girl to testify?"

"Yes. April Hill. She's ready to give her account of what happened that night." I wrangle my hand out of her tight grip and slide both hands onto April's shoulders, urging her forward, but silently supporting her as well.

She looks terrified, pale and wide-eyed. The bravado from before, in the penthouse, is gone.

"And how did you come into possession of the girl? Our tracker envoy has disappeared." Ozius doesn't outright accuse me, but he might as well.

"I found April at the same time as the envoy. She was afraid and fighting against them. In the struggle, she was hurt and was bleeding. The trackers, young and reckless and overcome with bloodlust, attempted to attack her. I had no choice but to destroy them in order to protect her."

Several members of the Council look furious. Ozius' dark skin takes on an angry shine as he leans forward. "You murdered our envoy?"

"Like I said, I didn't have a choice. You want the truth, don't you? Well, April would have to be alive for that to happen."

Beatrice looks stressed. Ozius opens his mouth to reply, but then–

"It's true," April says, loudly and clearly. She steps away from my protective embrace, holding her head high. "The vampires you sent after me tried to attack me because I was bleeding. Nik saved my life."

Ozius' eyes narrow and he glances over at his Councilmates. After a moment, he seems to concede the loss. "Tell us what happened the night the truce broke, girl. Clearly and concisely."

"Alright," April agrees and takes in a shuddering breath, betraying the trepidation she clearly still feels. But she powers on anyway. Brave, my girl is. "I was at the charity event with Nik. And then suddenly, a werewolf attacked him. It was Orson Reed."

"So, the Prince of the wolves did attack unprovoked?" Ozius almost sounds disappointed. He clearly wanted the truce to work.

"Yes," April admits. "But it's more complicated than that."

"How so?"

"I'm Orson Reed's mate."

Gasps and mutters ripple over the crowd. Even the Council looks surprised at this revelation.