chapter three.

April

It's late afternoon by the time Reed and North both arrive.

I am sitting on Harper's bed in her dorm room whilst she paces across the carpet, unable to be still for more than ten seconds.

I haven't told her anything yet...I don't know how to start.

All I know is that she deserves the truth, once and for all.

There is a strong knock on the door. I yank it open and am met by North's glaring eyes. He pushes past me and beelines for Harper. Reed steps into the room and squeezes my hand comfortingly.

"Are you ok?" North asks Harper, a frantic edge to his voice.

"Stop." She holds up a hand and he goes still. "Just stop."

Reed closes the door and I feel like all the oxygen has been sucked out of the room.

"I want the truth," Harper says and although she's hiding it well, I can see she's on the brink of tears. Her bottom lip wobbles. "April says you've been lying to me. Is that true?"

North shoots me a glare over his shoulder and I glare right back.

"Don't look at me like this is my fault. You agreed to wait to approach her!" I snap.

"I didn't agree, you ordered it and you," he turns his sights onto Reed, "went along with it because you're incapable of saying no to her."

"Any more than you're incapable of saying no to her?" Reed asks, nodding towards Harper. He folds his thick arms over his chest.

North's glare intensifies and he opens his mouth to continue arguing, but Harper cuts in, "I don't know what the hell is going on! Can someone please explain?"

At her obvious distress, I move forward and take her hand in mine. "Harp, you remember a couple of months ago when I went missing over the weekend and you didn't know where I was?"

"Of course I do."

"I was gone because...I found something out. Something dangerous."

Her face scrunches up. "Like nuclear weapon codes or something?"

I almost laugh. "No, no. Nothing like that."

"Then what? What could be so terrible that you're all afraid to tell me?"

"I don't think we should do this here," Reed cuts in, giving me a meaningful look. "Just in case. We should go somewhere...quieter. With a little more space."

He's afraid Harper is going to scream and shout and have a full meltdown and, honestly, I'm afraid of the same thing. The last thing the werewolves need is to draw human attention.

"I don't want to go anywhere, I want to know now!" Harper insists.

"Let's go somewhere quiet," North says and immediately Harper seems more amenable to the idea. He grabs a coat and wraps it around her shoulders, then we head out of her dorm room, down onto the street and pile into the car.

We drive until we find a patch of forest far enough away from any suburban houses. The sun has well and truly begun to set as we get out of the car and trek until Harper stops and says, "Ok, no further. I feel like I'm walking into a bad horror movie and you guys are going to bury me alive. What the hell is going on?"

North steps forward and takes her hands. "Harper... Everything I'm about to tell you is the truth." He takes in a deep breath and it's strange to see him nervous like this. "I'm not human, like you. I was born different. Reed and I both were."