51| Sins of the Father

When Alaric came to, the first thing he noticed was that he was chained up, in the exact same place that he had left Kai. Panic soon followed the realisation when he saw that the chains securely bound him to the chair. But when struggling became futile, he began frantically looking around for his daughter.

Alaric's eyes drifted around the room and he saw the werewolf, Diego still unconscious on the floor. Not too far away from him, Alexandria was out cold, leaned up against the bar. But there was no sign of Josie or even Kai.

"Josie?" Alaric called out and resisted against the chains with a grunt.

In the short amount of time that had passed, Diego had slowly healed and started to regain consciousness as well. Despite having been through the same process hundreds of times, it was disorienting for him. He groaned softly and his hand went to his chest to see a hole in his shirt, right above his heart with dried blood over it.

Diego turned around and saw a heart lying next to him. "Is that mine? Weird," he mumbled to himself before he pushed himself to stand. A familiar anger rose within him as he saw Alaric but it was tinged with excitement as he saw him chained up, defenceless. "Now... where were we?" a low growl came from his throat as his eyes glowed golden.

Diego began stalking towards him but was stopped when a voice called out, "Wait."

The voice commanded and the individual revealed themselves. Even though it was so long ago, Alaric remembered their face. The witch that he had banished to the prison world with Jade and Diego. A witch by the name of Wendy.

Diego slowly turned around to Wendy and almost rolled his eyes. Wendy slowly strolled over towards Alaric. While her expression remained blank, her eyes held a deep hatred.

"Don't kill him yet, D," Wendy told the werewolf as she studied Alaric's features. He had barely changed since the last time she saw him, but at the same time, the witch could tell that the years had worn him down.

Diego glanced towards Wendy. "Let me guess, you wanna burn him," he assumed as Wendy continued to stroll over to Alaric.

"Sure," Wendy didn't dismiss the thought, but she wanted to drag out his punishment. "But first I want to have a chat. Remember how he put us on trial and then abandoned us to this god-awful place?" Wendy reminded the werewolf as she glared at Alaric. "I think it's time for your trial... Alaric Saltzman," the witch declared, slowly pronouncing each syllable in his name as she tilted her head.

A smile grew on Diego's face and he let Wendy take the lead as he stood off to the side. If there was one thing that Wendy was known for back in her schooling days, it was her skills in controlling fire. It was her preferred type of magic. She loved how the fire would settle on her hands and prick at her skin.

With the slightest hand motion, a small fire was set ablaze. It coated the entirety of her left hand but it didn't hurt her one bit. She only felt the warmth from the small, controlled flame but the fiery rage in her heart was a stark contrast.