13| Leave No Stone Unturned

"Aren't you supposed to help?"

Lizzie lifted her head at the sound of the unknown voice. After seeing that it was only Pedro, she placed her head back down on the rock.

Alex was off to her side, sitting cross-legged on the large rock. She used her right arm as a headrest while her other was picking at the loose threads of her old worn out shoes. Her mind was occupied by no particular topic but a sense of worry washed over her. She was unsure what was causing it and it made her feel slightly uneasy. But nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It was a relatively normal day so she brushed off the feeling. Inhaling deeply as a way to centre herself.

"Consider this a life lesson, Pedro," Lizzie began and sat up, looking the boy in the eye with sympathy. "People disappoint."

"Don't mind her," Alex called out from behind Lizzie, her eyes still pointed down at her shoes.

Pedro gave no response to either of the girls and turned his attention to something behind them. A look of confusion and slight fear struck through his features.

"That statue just moved," he told the girls warily.

At the comment, both Lizzie and Alex turned to where the boy was looking. She was met with a gothic styled statue in the bushes.

"Good one," Lizzie spoke unamused and immediately went on to tell the younger student about her quarrels.

"Hey, Liz. Was that thing always there?" the werewolf asked once she had lifted her head to see what the commotion was about.

But Lizzie ignored the two and went on to tell Pedro about her recent quarrels.

"I mean, I deserve to know what's happening just as much as Hope. I'm his freaking daughter," she complained but Pedro cut her off.

"It's doing it again!" he pointed behind her, frightened by the stone-like creature.

Lizzie and Alex both looked back once more and saw that the statue was closer than it initially was before. The werewolf began to feel anxious but the witch was unfazed. After Lizzie came to a conclusion she turned back to the boy.

"We're being punked, Pedro. The sixth grade witches are learning illusion spells this semester," Lizzie clarified.

"It's... it's... it's...," Pedro stuttered as he struggled to get out the right words.

Alex stood up and turned around to survey the area for the danger. But as she looked back at the bushes where the statue once was, she found out that it was no longer there.

"Let me guess, it's right behind me?" she sighed knowingly but was outplayed as the statue had disappeared.

A loud thump was heard. As soon as Alex heard the danger's presence, her head snapped to the source of the sound. The statue was very much alive and moving as a deep snarl was heard as it bared its teeth menacingly to the three of them. Alex quickly tugged the boy's arm and pushed him behind her. Keeping him close while she acted as a shield for Pedro. She nudged the witch's shoulder again to grab her attention.