42| In Search of Humanity

"I can't believe that she escaped under your watch. You knew she was struggling and yet you thought hiding her would solve your problems?! I had to hear from our daughters, asking questions of why their own father would do such a thing!" Caroline yelled over the phone and Alaric collapsed in his seat.

He placed his elbows on his desk and brought a hand up to his temple. Rubbing his forehead to soothe the oncoming headache as he stared blankly into his empty office. "I'm dealing with a lot right now! Malivore, the Merge."

"I'm dealing with the Merge," Caroline cut him off before he could continue. "Me! I have been for years and your job was to take care of our daughters. Take care of the students. But then you lost your position as Headmaster and then you lost Alexandria!" Caroline scolded him and Alaric sighed in defeat.

"I thought I had it under control," Alaric reasoned but he could practically tell that Caroline was rolling her eyes at the statement.

"I need to talk to the girls. They need to hear this, because clearly, I can't trust you to even share what I'm going to say with them," she took a jab at him and Alaric silently followed her instructions.

An hour later, Alaric had managed to gather his daughters and Hope in his office. The three girls were initially confused, but after hearing that it had to do with Alexandria, none of them hesitated to meet the man in his office.

Hope sat in the chair in front of his desk, legs crossed and keeping herself calm and composed, although inside, several thoughts were swarming through her head. Josie sat on the couch, unusually silent while Lizzie was pacing around the room.

It had been about a couple of days since everyone's memories of Hope had returned. Some had taken it better than others but all were still adjusting.

Hope had yet to talk to anyone properly after the truth about her identity was revealed, which left all in an awkward place. Josie was unsure how to approach Hope after knowing how both she and her sister kept her in the dark, leaving her to piece everything together on her own

Alaric called up Caroline once more, placing the call on speaker and letting the phone sit on his desk. He sat down as the three girls patiently waited around the room for her to pick up.

"Hello?" Caroline said as she answered the call.

Alaric sat up straight hearing her voice. "They're all here, you're on speaker."

"Mom? What's all this about? Dad told us to come here because you needed to talk to us about Alex," Josie spoke up and walked closer to the phone.

Despite being over the phone, Caroline could tell that Josie was frightened and unsure. "Girls, I know that this is scary. You've never had to deal with a vampire without their humanity. But I need you all to be careful. Vampires, and in this case a hybrid without their humanity are incredibly dangerous," Caroline warned them all.