46| Old Wounds

The drive to Alexandria's hometown was a lengthy one. But when Alexandria arrived, a sad smile made its way to her face as she was flooded with nostalgia.

As she drove through the suburbs of the small town of Greenville in Illinois, she was overcome with a sense of familiarity. The town was nothing special, one of the oldest towns in the state of Illinois, but it was the town that she grew up in. She recognised the houses, the buildings. They were exactly how she remembered them.

The Sinclair girl came from the place and yet while the town stayed the exact same, she could not say the same for herself.

When Alexandria drove up to her old house, she wasn't surprised to see that a 'for sale' sign was still posted outside on the overgrown and unmaintained lawn. After all, who would want to buy a house someone was killed in? Didn't matter the logistics or the reasoning behind it. Didn't change that someone died by another's hand. In a small town, just word alone was more than enough.

Alexandria parked right outside on the curb and when she exited her car, she paused as she looked over it. She used to see that house every single day, but now she hadn't seen it in almost a full year.

She scanned her surroundings to find no one around. It was midday so the majority of people were either at school or work. Alexandria went around to the side of the house to see the array of different potted plants that had all wilted and died. But she lifted a specific potted plant to find that her old house key was still lying under it. She had to leave a spare one for Lukas because the boy was prone to forgetting his own.

After acquiring the key, she went back around to the front door and unlocked it. Slowly, she pushed the door open to see that the house was bare to the bone. It had been neglected and had been collecting nothing but dust and small insects.

She explored her old home and noted the small details of the building. She saw how in the living room, specific parts of the carpet had indents from having furniture over it and saw how the kitchen countertops had old scratches from when her mother used to bake.

It made Alexandria laugh lightly as she remembered when she was young, she used to always ask her mother to help when she was baking something. She remembered that she could barely see over the countertop but insisted to her mother that she was big enough to help.

But she also remembered the bad memories. When Alexandria looked further into the living room, her focus shifted to the fireplace. Her mind wandered far enough until she could hear the nauseating crack of bone echo in her mind. The moment that started it all. But she quickly snapped herself out of it. With a deep breath, she peeled her eyes away from the room.

Eventually, Alexandria went upstairs to the other rooms. Each room, empty and bare like the floor below. But as she went to her brother's room, she pushed the door open and leaned against the frame like she had done many times before. She remembered when Lukas started to enter his angsty teen phase and she made it her mission to annoy the life out of him like any good older sibling does.