40| Monsters of the Old World

With Commonwealth Day almost in full swing, the Salvatore Students were able to prepare for the rest of the event with ease with a certain hybrid contained and under watch. With the majority of the Super Squad doing their own respective tasks, Hope stayed in Town Square, maintaining a 'normal girl' image while she was actually watching the small Malivore portal that had formed.

Hope walked through the Square until she felt someone grab her ankle. "Gah!" she gasped and instantly looked down to the culprit, only to find Lizzie hiding under the table.

"Don't 'gah' me. Get your ass under here," Lizzie whispered and Hope reluctantly agreed.

Hope maintained a straight face until she was undercover. "What are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be watching Alex?" Hope questioned her immediately.

"Someone else is watching Alex," Lizzie quickly brushed over her question about the hybrid. "I was looking for you. You were supposed to be keeping an eye on the portal to Malivore," Lizzie deadpanned.

Hope pointed towards the said portal in between them. "I'm literally on top of it," she sassed at her.

Lizzie only ignored the tribrid's attitude. "Not on top of it enough. A zombie snuck onto campus this morning," the witch told her.

"I mean, are you sure it's from the portal? I've been here all night," Hope's frustration started to get the better of her from lack of sleep. With nowhere else to go and Alexandria back in the Lockwood Cellar, Hope had gotten uneasy as she felt powerless over the situation.

"It has the mark of Malivore carved into its skull. It's obviously from the portal," Lizzie challenged her.

Hope's brows furrowed at her statement. "What? That doesn't make sense."

The blonde witch only shook off her question. "Doesn't matter anymore. We locked the zombie up, which means no more portal duty is required and since I gave Alex duty to Jed, you and I can hang out today," Lizzie explained to her with a smile and Hope paused for a moment, almost waiting for her to go back and say it was only a joke.

Hope looked at her strangely as Lizzie seemed very intent on her words. "Why is that last part harder for me to understand than all the rest?" she questioned her.

Lizzie couldn't resist the urge to roll her eyes at the Mikaelson. "If I spend any time with Josie or even keeping watch of Alex, I will inevitably blow your secret. Plus, my dad gave all of us explicit instructions to not do anything with her until she's completely 'dried out'," Lizzie told her, her face scrunching in annoyance as she remembered what her father had told her. Hope broke eye contact with her at the mention of her name. "So, until that's sorted, you're stuck with me."

Hope looked at her blankly. "Okay, fine."

~ * ~

After hanging out with Lizzie, Hope decided that she had reached her limit for social interaction. But without the knowledge of Alaric or the other Salvatore Students, Hope went to visit a certain hybrid. She grew more nervous with each step she took down the Lockwood Cellar.