41| Seeker of Truths

Oblivious to the events happening in the Salvatore School, Alaric entered the Mystic Tap after getting a call from Sheriff Machado. He walked with a skip in his step, but after seeing the bright yellow crime scene tape covering the entrance, he straightened his posture and wiped the subtle smile off his face.

"I got your call," Alaric voiced out and his attention was immediately drawn to the dried blood over the bar and the large pool it had created just below. "I take it it's... not a date," he added quietly.

The Sheriff excused herself from her co-worker and met Alaric by the entrance. "We're still trying to piece together what happened. Thought you might be able to shed some light."

"An animal attack," Alaric said without a stutter as his eyes drifted over to the large pile of blood on the ground.

"Animal attack," the Sheriff repeated, confirming what the man was suggesting.

Alaric visibly became more rigid and tense, something the Sheriff easily picked up on. "Mhm. Yeah, we get them here all the time. You can check the police reports." Alaric reasoned with her as he mulled over the situation in his head.

Animal attacks. The classic excuse that was used to cover up the vampire attacks in Mystic Falls over the years.

The Sheriff was not at all convinced and Alaric's poor skills at lying only tipped her off more. "Well, I have a friend at the FBI that I'm sending the forensics to who may say... otherwise," she challenged him, hoping to pry the man for more information.

Alaric's heart picked up at her claim. "I-It would be better if you could just trust me on this one."

"Oh. Well, that's an interesting request, especially from someone that a witness placed here around the time of the attack," the Sheriff revealed and Alaric's face dropped.

Quickly after revealing the true reason why the Sheriff called him down to the scene, the two went back to the police station to discuss the matter. The Sheriff could tell that Alaric was on edge, guarded.

As the Sheriff sat across from him, she noted how his voice dropped to almost a whisper as he relayed the events of the night. He sat still in his seat with his hands clasped in his lap and he rarely broke eye contact with her.

"So you were just having a drink, with Professor Vardemus, the guy you punched in the face?" Sheriff Machado summarised, finding the man's story hard to believe.

"I thought it was in everyone's best interest that we make peace. I went home after, and... that's all I know," Alaric explained to her.

"You seem like a nice guy. I want to believe you. But your name pops up in a whole lot of police reports, dealing with dead bodies in this town," the Sheriff countered.

Alaric straightened his posture to place his hands on the table and began speaking before the Sheriff could continue. "Listen, I understand your suspicions, but I had absolutely nothing to do with those people in the bar," he reassured her but his mind wandered to the possibility that he may know the culprit.