△ chapter twenty one - 𝙢𝙖𝙙 𝙙𝙧𝙞𝙫𝙚𝙧 △

thomas glanced at newt, in hope of him knowing. not a single word, just silence.
i walked over calmly. "why wasn't minho on the train?" aris turned to me. "i'm sorry olivia.. he was."

night turned over quickly and thomas called an emergency meeting, pulling out a dirty old map. he pointed towards the bottom centre, a circle. "there, that's it. a few hundred miles. that's gotta be where they're headed."

i sighed as continuously made his case using words. "we need the strongest people, we can make it back within a week."
vince frowned. "a week? it took us six months to get here! we got over 100 kids now. you want us to stay here whilst you wander off into some random point on a map? you don't even know what's there."

"i do." jorge spoke amongst the shadows, walking into the room ominously. "it's been a few years, but i've been here. WCKD calls it 'the last city.' if that city is still standing.. that's the last place you want to go."

i jumped into the debate, throwing opinions. "we have to get minho back, we can't just leave him with WCKD, who knows what they're going to do to him!"

they all looked to the floor. "we can't risk a single boy for 100 kids. it's not a moral risk." vince said, pointing at the map.

i scoff, brushing my hair backwards. "i'm willing to take that risk."

it went silence until the radio scatters echoing to our ears. "shit! hit the lights now!" thomas yelled as we scattered to the lights, switching them off completely.

me and vince ran out of the hut, seeing the aircraft's above us, scanning the ground with their lights. "jeez, they're getting close."
i gulped to take a breath, i looked to vince. "you're right. we can't stay here."
he tapped my shoulder with relief.

i could never leave his place without knowing the guilt of having one man left behind, knowing that he's well alive.

night turned quickly as i packed my bag and made my way to bertha, which i'm praying has been properly fixed by jorge.
newt scared the living hell of me. "where do you think you're going then?" i held my chest with a death breath. "you scared the living shit out of me!"

he turns on a lamp next to him, glaring at me with his knife gutting eyes. "newt, i-" he approached me, grazing his hand as he reached for my bag. "don't be a twat about it. i'm coming with you."

newt opened the door with frypan in the drivers seat, i groaned, holding my head. "guys. there's no guarantee we'll make it back from this."
newt leant against the car, whilst they both smiled at me. "we started this all together. we might as well finish it together as well."
i finally have a moment of release, still keeping my eyes on newts. "okay.. let's go get minho."

i sat in the back behind the drivers seat with frypan driving and newt in the passenger seat. frypan drove slowly and quietly.
"pick up the pace, huh?" i groaned, falling my head back onto the seat.
frypan looked back. "i'm driving as slow as i can to not make any noise."

newt giggles, looking back towards me. "you should drive then, liv." his sarcasm only made me want to conform more. "pull over." i demand frypan. he pulled to the side and got out so i could get into the front.

i put my two hands on the wheel and pulled the handbrake, stepping onto the gas, immediately putting the car in fast driving. both newt and frypan gasped, feeling their bodies move backwards.
"JESUS LIV!"

i giggled happily, whooping as i went 120 down a rocky road. we eventually reached a dead end. both newt and frypan sighed of relief, quickly getting out of the car.
i scoffed, following them. "i'm not even that bad of a driver. you guys are just being dramatic."

they gave each other a look before examining the area, i still held a gun in my back pocket just in case. newt pointed towards the tunnel in front of us. "i don't want to come across as too negative but if i want a crank, that's the first place i would be."

i scoffed, pulling out my map. "what a way to set the mood newt. you're lucky you're liked." he rolled his eyes at me as we both watched fry walk closer.
"i agree with newt."

i gulped as i watched newt get back into the car with frypan following him. of course i get drivers seat again with newt in the passenger seat.
"go slowly." newt said. "i don't want to die right now."

i pulled the handbrake, turning my headlights on and slowly moving the car into the dark tunnel. there was puddles, it looked like a sewer and sure smelt like one.

we slowly moved around the abandoned cars, keeping a close eye on if we see a crank. newt stopped the car by putting his hand up. we see a crank stood ominously in the distance.

it gagged slightly from a distance as it glared at our headlights. i gulped and breathed. "it's okay. it's just the one. i can go around him."

newt pulled up his window until we hear frypan gasp in the backseat. a blonde woman had put her hands on the window, pleading with. "help me! please."

she attempted to open the door, she had crazy eyes. "fuck. do not open that door fry."
the other window opposite fry was tapped a man who was clearly bite was banging on, trying to get it.
we all gasped in fear.

newt and fry were yelling at me to drive. "LIV, JUST FLOOR IT!" newt screamed. i push my feet heavily against the accelerator, pushing and running over the cranks.
"HOLY FUCKKKKK!" i let out a scream in my throat, seeing a crank on the trunk.

he attempted to punch his windshield. "woah. woah!" newt held onto the door handle.
"fuck! what do i do?!"

i managed to swerve him off by hiting him into a ladder.
"LIV! WATCH OUT!"
my smile switched.