☆ chapter five - 𝙚𝙢𝙤𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙖𝙡 𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙩 ☆

the walls slammed shut with a breeze of air as my breath felt heavy. newt had his head in his hands as everyone was staring at the ground senselessly.

my eyes were balling and all teresa could do was hug me as i cried in her arms.
"why did he do that?" i sniffle, wiping my tears from my face.

the crowd was frozen in shock and scared.

what are we meant to do now that our strongest runners and leaders are gone?!

as gally was second in command he stepped up, folding his arms. "i have nothing to say other than we can take this day off to figure out what to do next."
they nodded in unison.

teresa managed to pick me off of my feet and take me to my hammock where i laid crying with distraught.
she sat next to me for hours talking about her time in the glade to help me calm down, it was doing much as my ears were ringing.

eventually, i had cried enough that my eyes were so puffy and heavy.

i gasp awake to the sound of grievers coming from the maze. i fall to my side, looking over at the bonfire lighting up the sky. it was silent, almost like they're in mourning.

i held my hand over my mouth to prevent a silent sob escaping. i felt so trapped so helpless. i want to help him. i wish it were me who went into that maze.

deciding that i want to take my mind off of it i walk over to the lightly lit bonfire and sit myself down apart from the others.

i notice a tall figure walk my way with a jar of liquid in his hands. he sat next to me with a sigh. "looks like you need this." gally asserts, handing me his alcohol recipe.

i took it from his hands and chugged it. he snickered. then saying something i've never heard him say. "i'm sorry about your boyfriend."

i almost spit out my drink, choking on it. "what?!" i say croaking, coughing.
he furrowed his eyes, confused.
i make a disgusted face. "he's my brother. jesus."

he makes an o with his mouth, almost burst in with laughter. "i'm sorry." he chuckles, grabbing another cup of alcohol.

it was completely silence after me and gally spoke, i kind of liked the silence. it's what i needed.

all that was talking was the grievers chittering from the glade and roaring wind from the maze changing.
i leant my head backwards with a deep exhale.
gally broke the silence, comforting me. "i'm sure they'll make it out. your brother is quite the runner i hear."
i look up at him, i'm clearly drunk out of my mind.
"thanks gally."

i lean my head on his stern shoulder, he tensed for a second but then relaxes after seeing me almost unconscious.
"you're a lightweight." he whispered, taking another swing of his drink.
i rolled my eyes. "shut up." i mutter.

the fire burns out and everyone decides to go to sleep, leaving me and gally to our own accords. "time to bed now greenie."

he attempts to move but i push him down as i'm comfortable. "i don't wanna move." i sigh, blowing raspberries.

he notices a tear form down my face. "ok." he whispers, getting comfy.

i frown, my eyes flutter with tears as they pass down my face. my stomach was burning from keeping my cry in, i couldn't hold it together for much longer.

gally moved my head to his stomach and gently brushed his fingers through my hair, his slightly drunk words were. "you can cry. i won't judge you."

his words made me burst out crying, looking up to the sky, soaking in every emotion that i have, anger, sadness, annoyance.

i drift off to sleep on gally's abdomen, despite him having abs it's quite comforting.

chuck yells towards the gladers. "hey guys! get up!"
he's stood in front of the maze doors as it creeks over with gusts of winds.

my eyes narrowed, i shake gally who immediately woke up with a hangover almost elbowing me in the face.

i sprint towards the maze walls next to chuck.

they peer into the maze hopelessly. my heart sinks to my stomach as i feel i'm about to throw up.
chuck exhales with distraught.

newt tapped his shoulder as support. "they're not coming back, chuck."

they wandered away leaving me and chuck staring deeply at the empty maze.

chuck noticed three figures at the end of the maze. "no way." the crowd mutters, screaming their names.

i don't know what came over me whether it's my hangover or sleep deprivation. but as soon as i saw my brother i ran into the maze, clinging hold to him into a hug. he hugged me back tightly, bringing me back to the maze. i stunk intoxicated into him. "we're back, it's ok."

everyone ran to aid alby who was knocked unconscious with a sting mark.

chuck stared confidently. "you saw a griever?"
minho chuckles, catching his breath. "the greenie didn't just see one. he killed it."

i nudged his arm proudly. "show off."

gally called an emergency meeting as soon as alby was in the medjacks.

i sat next to my brother and minho, the other sat around gally in the circle, he stood in the middle as being first in command after alby.
"things are changing."

i sigh, bracing myself for his big speech.

"first ben gets stung in broad daylight. and then alby. and now BOTH greenies take in upon themselves to go into the maze." me and my brother look at him with anger.

i hold my hand up to him. "are you kidding me gally?"
he puts his finger on his lips to tell me to shut up.
he looks around to newt and minho, etc. "it's a clear violation of our rules here."
"he's killed one of them." he holds his arms arm like anguished. "who knows what that could mean for us?"