♡ chapter sixteen- 𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙩𝙝𝙖 ♡

i chuckle excitedly, never been on one of those before. newt was standing in front of me, i move forward to be chose as the first one.

"i'll lead you guys to the right arm, but you owe me." he spoke with his accent, bringing down a seat for us to sit on whilst we slide down.

jorge was first to go down. "follow me!" he yells from a distance.
i follow him with another seat, screaming down at i slide. "FUCK YOU WCKD!"
i whistle, giving my middle finger to them as i see janson in the helicopter.

everyone follows quickly behind me until i don't see the short haired girl or thomas.
the building suddenly blew up. my heart stopped and sank for a second.

all of us stood in shock.

thomas is dead?

the next few days came as a blur.

i remember seeing the short hair girl, who's name is brenda wander towards us, dragging thomas by his arm. he had been knocked out somehow, they never told us how.

thomas was sitting with teresa and minho whilst i was just staring blankly at the wall, watching them talk together.

there was a man in the centre of the room, tied up with ropes. jorge was beating him black and blue. "TALK YOU SON OF A BITCH!" he punched him in the face. i flinch slightly, turning to newt.
"do you trust him?"

newt exhaled and shrugged. "i'm not sure who to trust."

"where is the right arm, marcus?" jorge asked, clearly agitated.

thomas stood up next to minho, he was weak with his joints, sweaty, and confused as ever.

jorge then kicks marcus to the floor, he folds over still hooked onto his chair. a big blade was held to his throat. "TALK!"

he pleaded for his life. "these guys like to move around."
the man groaned as he is pulled up. "they have an outpost in the mountains. but it's a long way away. you've got half of WCKD on your ass. you're never gonna make it."

that's what i've been saying for the past month.

jorge chuckles maliciously, he leant forward. "not on foot."
he tapped his shoulder, leaning further. "where's bertha?"

marcus glanced at him, feeling intimidated.
"not bertha." his lip quivered.

apparently bertha is a car, a pretty fast car if that.
newt sat in the front whilst everyone squished in the back.

we reached a bridge when jorge suddenly stopped, we turn towards him with confusion, stepping out.
he looked off into the distance. a giant tunnel appeared with cars blocking them.
"looks like we're on foot." he sighed.

we slowly started to walk towards the tunnel. my stomach started to flip again, the sudden feeling of discomfort.

a gunshot hit a car, everyone yelled to get down and hide behind the cars. the gunshot stopped.
"that's bloody son of bitch, marcus. he led us into an ambush." jorge panicked, reaching for his gun in his jacket.

thomas peered over the car, only to be shot at again.
jorge gave him somewhat of a bomb.
"oh fuck.." i murmur, rubbing my head.
"get ready to run." he whispers.

"three.."

"two.."

a sun gun cocks from behind us. a woman with dreads pointed at us with snipers. another blonde girl at the back does the same thing. jorge dropped is hesitantly, looking afraid.
"on your feet. let's go!"
she asserted, still holding the gun firmly.

she called over the rest of us. "don't be stupid! move!"

the girl with dreads stopped to take a double look before saying. "aris?"
she pulled down her mask, he moves forward in shock. "oh my god! harriet?"

she pulled him for a hug. "what the hell are you doing here?!"
she blonde girl pulled her mask down. "sonya." aris asserted happily. they both hug each other.

harriet whistles at the canyon, a load of men pointed their guns down. "we're clear guys! come on out!"

jorge glanced at aris, proud of him basically saving our asses.
i walk up to sonya, the blonde girl, who's leading us someplace.
"hey. i'm olivia."
she glanced at me then back to the path. "i know."
i raise my brow, concerned. "you know?"
she turned back to whisper. "you're jansons daughter."

i march backwards behind newt. how does she know that?

we reach a camp full of soldiers. harriet walked in front of us as soon as thomas stopped her before she opened the car.
"the right arm got us out." she said. thomas eyes lightened. "wait so.. do you know where they are?"

she smiled, opening the car door. "hop in."

everyone quickly jumped into two separate cars and drove to a place i've never seen before.
we were far from the desert.

eventually, we stopped around a grassy and dusty hill. got out and looked about seeing a massive group of people, spread apart across hundreds of feet area.
i scoffed. "holy wow."

sonya and harriet marched as leaders in front of us. "you guys are lucky you found us when you did. we're moving out tomorrow."
"where's vince?" she asked a random.
"over there." he pointed towards the camp.

i raise my brow, walking next to sonya. "who's vince?" i ask. "he's the one who decides if you get to stay."

i clear my throat with a gulp. what happeneds if he doesn't let us stay?

the man interrupted our walk, he had long blonde hair with a beard. "who are they?" he asks.
"they're immunes." she spoke hesitantly and nervously.

i see at the corner of my eye brenda who's half-asleep. i feel that funny feeling in my stomach, thomas notices but doesn't make it a big deal.

suddenly brenda becomes to heavy breath, she fell forward, jorge caught her in time. "brenda?!"
the blonde hair man vince looked petrified. "what's up with her?"

i knelt beside her slowly. my heart was pumping, until it stopped when vince lifted her trouser leg and saw a bite mark from a crank.
he gasped, pulling out his gun. "CRANK! WE GOT A CRANK!"