♡ chapter thirteen - 𝙢𝙮 𝙛𝙖𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧. ♡

my jaw clenched in fury. "OPEN THIS DOOR JANSON!"
"you really don't want me to. i'm trying to save your life. the maze is one thing, but you kids wouldn't last one day in the scorch. the elements won't kill you, the cranks will." he said, almost empathetically.
"i only want what's best for you."

i close one of my eyes, watching him stare down the barrel of the gun.
"let me guess. WCKD is good?"

he placed his hands down, smiling.
"i always knew you would be of sorts olivia. your genes are full of secrets. whether it's your brother trying to hide the fact that you're a serial killer or your MOTHER killing herself."
i but my tongue, almost sobbing with a tears falling to the floor.

"or it could be your father. who's just trying to help you."
he spoke.

i became speechless. i move my head upwards, keeping a firm hold on the gun.
my mouth parts to say a word but newt yelled at me that the door had clicked open.

the gladers move under the closing door as they yell for me to run.
"olivia. come on. i'm your father. you have to trust me. i can help you."
he steps a foot towards me.

within a flash i start to shoot in front of me at the targets, until my bullets were out.

i turn my back to him, stumbling as i run to the exit.

i've never been the fasted runner, but i've never ran so fast in my entire life.
they follow closely behind me. "YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT OUT YOU BASTARD CHILD!"

he spoke to his wrist. "SHUT THE MAIN VAULT DOOR, NOW!"

the gladers cheer me on nervously, seeing me struggle to run. i pant effortlessly, sliding my body under the door.

aris, who was on the other side of the door broke the system with a piece of metal.
janson eventually reached the closed door, panting. "your the reason why your mother killed herself."

i gulp in fear, newt grabs my head, leading us away quickly.

we run through the factory, still hearing the sirens and alarms.
thomas reached a lever, pulling it, allowing the doors to open. we all quickly ran through it, sticking together.

i turn my back for a second, seeing the soldiers running up the hill we had just ran up on.
"COME ON! KEEP GOING!" thomas yelled, grabbing the floor beneath us.

the floor was sand and one small slip would send someone sliding down it, we hung onto each other closely.

the storm was coming over us, almost suffocating. there was sand debris in my mouth and in my hair; somehow i managed to slip, but newt caught my hand. "OLIVIA. COME ON!"

the storm was loud but not as loud as the cars zooming past us to catch up.
we found high ground and immediately fell to hide under the sand. "stay low." thomas whispered.

as soon as the cars stopped we run towards an old building that had been covered with sand. teresa finds a broken window. "guys, here!" she says.

we quickly follow here, hiding from the storm and the soldiers.
minho reached for a flashlight from his backpack.
"shit. where the hell are we?" i spit, out of breath.

teresa stood, confused. "what is going on?!"
thomas turned to her, wiping sweat from his lips. "it's WCKD. me and aris found bodies."
minho gulped, holding the light to the ground. "like dead bodies?"
thomas continued to describe what he saw.

i walk over to minho, reaching into his bag for another torch. i move it towards the place, checking for safety.

their muffled talk was whistling with the wind. "the right arm. they're in the mountains. if we go there they might help us." i interrupted, returning.

winston alerts the group, seeing footsteps in the sand. "someone's been down here."

i use the footsteps to follow the path. newt stayed closely behind me. eventually everyone followed. it was some sort of mall or something.
frypan light up a light.
we found flashlight along the way.
"looks like people lived here." i gulp, picking up the clothes.

"split up and see what else you can find. meet back up here." thomas asserted.

me and minho and thomas follows and we walk together towards what seems to be the middle of the mall.
minho and thomas stop in midst path staring to the other side of the room.

there was a body.

we approach it carefully.
"shit." minho whispers.
he attempted to flick a switch, looking at thomas. "they had power."

they move their flashlights to a wire cabinet. minho scrambles to try to fix it. just by turning a switch.
the machine powers up. "wait minho!" thomas yelled.

minho turned to look at me and thomas with a smile. he immediately frowned. "OLIVIA, WATCH OUT!"

i fall backwards as soon as the crank hit the wired fence. "holy fuck!" i scream.

thomas picked me up and pulled me away. we hear another screech and crack from behind us. minho pulled us away, picking up a crowbar and smacking it against its face. "GET BACK!"
"WHAT IS THAT THING?!" i gag, fearing for my life.

thomas yelled, pushing past. "WE GOTTA GO!"

we reach a door. i stumbled behind but caught up, they slammed the door on its face as it attempted to attack us.

my heart was racing, minho pushed a large structure in front of the door.
there had to be hundreds coming from the same direction. we run with our flashlights waving everywhere, meeting up with an escalator and making the last push to meet up with the others.

"HEY! RUN! GUYS RUN!" i screamed with minho and thomas in unison.
they look at us whilst running away as well.

hurriedly, running up escalators, stairs and hallways. the cranks become much closer as i'm dragged down an escalator.
"GET OFF OF ME YOU BASTARD!"
i use my well used foot to kick it down the escalator.
"OLIVIA!" newt yells, picking me up.