△ chapter twenty six - 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 △

gally jumped up quickly and we kept our heads down by crouching. we were running against the side of the walls, trying not to slip off.

we climbed stairs meeting eyes with the tallest building in the city, spelling WCKD on it. "that's where they'll be keeping minho." gally said, pulling out a telescope.
"place is crawling with soldiers. i might have a way in."

thomas eyes locked to gally's angrily. "what do you mean might?!"
he moved from the telescope. "take a look." he replied calmly.

thomas had a look inside the telescope in labs, seeing teresa.
"i said i had a way in. i didn't say you were gonna like it."

everything had become cloudy to me, i was sweaty like a bitch. my body felt like it is going to collapse at any second. i hadn't been stung or bitten or even hurt from what i've seen. there has to be something else.

we managed to make our way back to the camp, where everyone was antsy to find out what we saw. eyes laid on newt, he seemed much more uncomfortable.

thomas denies using teresa to get in. "no. no, there's got to be another way."
gally sighed. "like what? you've seen the building. she is our only way in."

my eyes dart to thomas' in a state of anger. "oh my GOD, thomas! how fucking stupid can you be?"

brenda jumped in, conveying. "am i missing something here? this is the same girl who betrayed us, correct?" she scoffed. "same dick?"

gally smirked, pointing at brenda. "i like her."

i glared at gally.

newt bite his nails, looking at thomas. "what, you afraid your little girlfriends gonna get hurt? hm? because this has obviously never just been about rescuing minho."

thomas furrowed his brows, confused. "wait, newt. what are you talking about?"
newt decided to get all up in thomas' face and continued to throw thomas into the wall. "she's the reason minho's even missing in the first place! now we finally we have a an opportunity to get him back! and what? you don't want to because of her?!"

thomas softly gasped, fearfully. "newt.."
"DONT LIE TO ME!" newt yelled, pushing him even further into the wall.

the room was silent. newt let him go with a shakey voice. "i'm sorry." he apologized, still leaving the room shaken.

he marched out quickly, holding his arm. i brush past gally to follow newt. he sat on the edge of the wall.
"hey, newt." i murmur.

he stands looking at his hands. i sit beside him and swing my legs on the wall.
"i'm sorry about what happened back there.. i guess i can't hide this anymore."
he pulled up his sleeve, revealing a sting mark.
"newt.." i whisper.

i take his hand into mine, staring at it. my heart broke for him. i knew something was up with him. "why didn't you tell me?" my voice cracked, looking up at his glossy eyes.

"didn't think it would make any difference." he sighed, pulling his sleeve down. "we can still fix this newt." i said, assuring him. "i can help you."

he just shook his head.

"did i ever tell you about the time when i broke my leg.. it was way back in the maze, i'd just come up from the box. didn't know where i was or who i was."
this eyes become more glossier than before.
"although all my memories were gone i could still feel that something was missing so i.. snuck and and find the tallest wall i could find in the maze and i climbed up there and i jumped off it."

my heart sank for newt, i grabbed his hand and leant my head against his shoulder. "i'm sorry, newt."
he just shrugged. i stare up to look at him, gently pressing my lips against his for a slight second.

he became way more nervous before he stood up in front of me. "..why did you do that?" he stuttered. i just look at him then to the ground in embarrassment. "i'm sorry." i replied.

he groaned, rubbing his temples, chuckling slightly until he didn't find it so funny anymore. "i'm gay, liv."

my mouth parts. "oh."

in this very moment i wasn't sure what to feel. whether support for him or a heartbreak because i actually loved him.
"i'm sorry." he said embarrassed.
i scoffed, standing up in front of him, laying a massive hug on him. "don't say sorry."

i pulled away, bursting out with laughter.
"what's funny?" newt laughed in response.
"was my kiss that bad that i turned you gay?" i held my mouth with an o. "no! definitely not. the kiss was good, liv. i just don't swing that way."

we both laughed for a second before i wrap my arm around his and we walk back into the base.

the group had silently come up with a plan for attack as soon as thomas had made it clear that he would follow through.

thomas led teresa to a secluded area away from the crowd. "thomas!" she yelled for his attention, still keeping a close distance from him.

gally keeping swoons behind her, wrapping a bag around her head.
he brings her back to a base we set up away from the soldiers.

newt removes the bag only for teresa to be met with the group. "gally?" he whimpers, noticing gally sat against the table.

"here's how this is gonna go. we're gonna ask you some questions and you're going to tell us exactly what we need to know.. we'll go simple. where's minho?"
teresa put on the spot, stutters. gally swings a chair in front of her, aggressively slamming it down.
"don't look at him. why are you looking at him? look at me. he's not gonna help you."

i whistle softly, nudging newts arm. "you're telling me you want a piece of gally?" newt snickers, shaking his head. "he's all yours liv."

i pull backwards in shock with my mouth opened.

he knows?