☆ chapter six - 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙢𝙚 ☆

newt tilted his head to fill the silence, asking. "well, what do you suggest we do?"
"he should be punished."

loud disagreements with gally averse from the crowd of boys, gally just shrugged. i glare at him devilishly.
"minho you were there with him. what do you think?" newt queries, looking at minho attentively, who's folding his arm watching it all unravel.

minho sighed. "i think- in all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a griever before. when i turned tail and ran. this dumb shank stood behind to help alby."
i look over to my brother, he was staring at the ground innocently.

i turn my attention quickly to the man basically backwashing onto me.
"gally how can you say that about me when you were combing through my head whilst i was crying last night. have you no shame?"
"i was drunk. don't compliment yourself." he clenched his jaw.

the loud chattering from the ground gets rudely interrupted by the loud screeching of the grievers, it sounded a lot more closer than we thought.

we quickly head out of the hut, thankfully no griever in sight. my brother steps forward with minho, they both look towards each other, eyeing each other up with a plan.

i walk towards him, my heart in my hand. "don't do what i think you're going to do."
he nods his head, kissing me on the cheek. "i'll see you soon, alright? i promise."

i bit my nails, watching him jog away with minho by his side, he collected some other gladers, such as zart, winston and frypan.

i watch from afar as they all jog into the maze. i offered to go with them but they wanted to not risk being dragged by a girl. i found that insulting.

sitting my back against the maze runner wall, fondling the grass beneath me. i could see gally's eyes watching over me so i don't go running into the maze. i'm not that stupid.

teresa strolls over to me and perched herself beside. "hey greenie."
i smile gently. "hey teresa. is alby ok?"
she shrugged, sighing. "i'm not sure. he's still out like a light and everyone's concerned for him as he has a sting mark on his stomach."

i make an o with my mouth, avoiding eye contact with anyone at all. she looks over to me with devilish eyes and a grin.
"what's going on with you and gally?"
i raise my brow and gag.
"nothing. we were both drunk and i felt like i needed somebody to be around."

she frowns sarcastically. "you chose gally for that?" she scoffs, giggling. i rolled my eyes with a smirk. "key word is drunk."

we both chuckled until i see gally walk over with one of his hands behind his neck.
"that's my cue to leave." she stood up leaving me all alone to talk to gally, although i preferred she didn't.

he was carrying a spear, he sat next to me and poked at the grass with the spear. "you didn't go with them?" he asked inquisitively.

i shook my head, taking the spear out the ground and playing with it against my fingers. "no. i wasn't allowed."

silence was thick and i could hear and feel my heart beating. gally took the spear away from me and placed it far from me.
"i'm sorry about the meeting, i'm just angry and afraid."
he sighed, leaning his head against the wall.

i look over to him in shock. he notices with a brow perked. "what?"
i snort, holding my mouth. "i didn't know you ever could be afraid of anything."

he sniffles, sighing at the floor. "well i am. i'm afraid of people getting hurt in here no matter how much i try to keep them safe i always shuck it up along the way. i don't like being out of power if you haven't noticed.

his emotional rant made me glare at him with awe.
"i'm sort of the same if i'm being honest. i try to be sweet and kind but there's always the voice at the back of my head saying- fuck it."

his eyes widen, conveying. "never heard you cuss before."
i shrugged, nudging his shoulder.

we sit together in silence, it was so desensitizing. until i hear the running of feet inside the maze. my brother and the others coming running out. i sigh in relief, looking at minhos hand seeing a metal object.

both me and gally stand up, confused.

gally calls a meeting with just them, i wasn't there thank god to listen to his long speech again.

all i see is gally storming out with a grump and frypan following him to console him, he just brushes him out and he hides in his hammock.

i look over to newt who makes eye contact with me as soon as he comes out of the hut.
he walked up to me with a smile. "hey greenie."

"hey newt. what happened in there?"
he smirked, shrugging. "well you know gally. almost so dramatic about things. always the first to shut it down." newt walked away, i watched him.
his hair was shinning in the sun so beautifully.

he hadn't told me that my brother would be put into the pit that night.

i sat in front of him, watching him as he eats the food i gave him.
i chuckle at his hunger. "slow down horse."

his eyes rolled. "shut up."

i bit my lip, thoughts letting out of my mind through my tongue. "what do you think our parents are like?"

he stops eating his food, staring up at me through the floor.
"i'm sure they're nice people."
i stared at the floor with emptiness, i can't even figure their faces.
he caught my attention. "don't dwell on it tonight, ok?"
i nodded my head. "have a goodnight sleep greenie."
"you too greenie." he responded sarcastically.

the sun wakes me up or it was gally throwing water on me. "morning sunshine."
i groaned, wiping my eyes again from the repeating cycle.