Chapter 48: Before Sunset

"Hey," Elena said shaking Brenna awake.

"What?" she groaned.

"Jer, wake up," Elena said to their brother. They'd all fallen asleep on the couch together.

"What's going on?" Jeremy asked.

"I couldn't sleep," Elena sighed.

Brenna rolled over and checked her phone. "It's 4 am, Lena."

"I think we should do something. All of us together. I was thinking we could paint Ric's old room. I figured it would help us, closure and all."

"I'm in," Brenna nodded. "Let's do it. Jer?"

"Yeah I'm in," he agreed.

"Awesome!" Elena cheered. "Let's get started.

"Woah Lena, no," Brenna shook her head. "We can get started in 4 hours at a reasonable hour. Just get back on the couch okay, we need to take it slow."

*********************

"Don't spill it," Brenna cautioned Elena as she poured paint out onto a tray.

"I won't," Elena smiled.

"Think we're ready?" Brenna asked looking around. "We've laid down sheets, we've got the paint and we've taped up the edges. I think we're good to go," she smiled holding out a paintbrush to her brother and they all set to work.

They'd been painting for an hour when Stefan let himself into the house and came upstairs. "Going darker huh?" he asked as he looked at the walls. Jeremy and Brenna instantly exchanged looks. The last thing they needed right now was vampires. Brenna had been ignoring Kol's calls all morning, this was a family day.

"It's the only colour we had," Elena smiled and Brenna and Jeremy both rolled their eyes at each other.

"That's what happens when you decide to paint your dead-guardians room in the middle of the night," Jeremy said looking over at Elena.

"I don't suppose anyone tried to talk you guys out of doing this so soon," Stefan asked concerned.

"Yeah, well we convinced Elena to hold out until 8 am, rather than starting at 4 am," Brenna scowled.

"We have to keep moving, otherwise we'll start thinking," Elena said as she walked to grab a new brush.

"You want a hand?" Stefan offered. Brenna looked at Jeremy and audibly scoffed in annoyance.

"I know," Jeremy scowled back at her before he turned around aggressively. "So are you two, like, back together or something?"

"What? No," Elena said quickly. "We're just..."

"Uh, I was just checking up on you guys," Stefan defended. "Seeing how you were doing after, uh... after everything."

"We're fine," Jeremy snapped. "But if you are trying to be the good guy again, why don't you do the right thing and give us one day," he said putting down the paint can and walking towards Stefan. "Just one day without any vampires in it." He then looked behind at Brenna before turning back to Stefan, "I mean, I'm not an idiot. I've heard Brea's phone ringing all morning and she hasn't answered it once. It's about being respectful," he said before storming out and over to his room before slamming the door.

"He's right you know," Brenna said looking between Elena and Stefan before stomping off to her room.

As soon as she shut the door she pulled out her phone and considered calling Kol. Before she could do anything, Nik called her and she immediately declined the call. When the call disappeared she saw he'd already called her 5 times in the past 3 minutes. She was meant to leave town with him today. She couldn't. She promised Ric she'd stay in town until she finished her senior year. She sighed before she dialled Kol's number.