Chapter 17: Isobel & Founder's Day

EDITED SEP22

*********************

"Brea!" Elena snapped as the two sat in the Grill waiting for Isobel to show up.

"Yeah?" she asked snapping out of her daydreaming.

"Stop tapping your foot. You're making me nervous."

"But I am nervous," Brea tried to defend but Elena just glared. "I don't understand why we have to do this. I mean why can't we just call Isobel's bluff?" Brea asked nervously. Apparently, Isobel had shown up in town and told Ric that if she didn't get a meeting with the twins she'd go on a murder spree.

"We're not risking the town just because we don't want to see her," Elena explained with a sigh.

Brea just rolled her eyes and started tapping her ring against the table.

"Brea!" Elena said kicking her under the table.

"Ouch!"

"Stop tapping! First, your foot, now your ring, cut it out," she growled as Brea glared at her.

"Psychopath," she hissed under her breath.

Just as Brea pulled out her phone, Elena kicked her again, "I swear to god I'm going to kick you back in a second! I wasn't even doing anything that time," Brea started to tell her sister off but then looked up and saw Isobel standing over the table "Oh."

Isobel laid her coat out on the chair and sat down opposite the twins. "Hello Brenna, Elena," she greeted. "You look just like her. It's eerie," she said to Elena before facing Brea. "You, a century and a half away from Katherine, but from what I've observed of you, I see the similarities," Isobel noted making Brea's eyes widen.

"You've met Katherine," Elena interrupted shocked.

"She found me after I turned. Genetic curiosity, I suppose. She would be fascinated by you."

"Is that how you can walk in the day?" Elena asked gesturing to Isobel's necklace.

"Katherine helped me obtain it."

"Who's our father?"

"Not important. He was a teenage waste of space," Isobel answered.

"Bit rude," Brea muttered.

"A name would be nice," Elena snarked.

"It would, wouldn't it? You ask a lot of questions, Elena."

"Why did you compel that man to kill himself, right after he told me to stop looking for you?" Elena asked.

"Dramatic impact. Wish it would have been more effective."

"Human life means that little to you?"

"Means nothing to me. It's just part of being what I am."

"You were human once, not long ago," Brea spat disgusted. "How can you kill and not feel any guilt?"

"Not all of us are blessed like you are. You're the only one I've ever heard of blessed with that nifty little reincarnation spell. Must be amazing to lead a different life every 20 years, start fresh and find new families. Katherine always described it as a curse, but from where I'm sitting, it's an absolute bless-."

"Shut up!" Brea snarled with malice and Isobel immediately went quiet.

"In order to live forever, lives will be lost as a cost," Isobel preached.

"You don't have to kill to be a vampire," Elena said after looking at her fuming sister with concern. "We know other vampires. That's not true."

"You mean your boyfriend over there by the pool table? Stefan Salvatore. Why Stefan? Why didn't you go for Damon? Or do you enjoy them both like Katherine did?"