Chapter 29: The Birthday & The Hybrid

"Wakey wakey," Brea sang throwing the curtains open.

"Go away," Matt whined rolling over. "I didn't invite you to move in to have you wake me up every morning."

"You have work," Brea smirked.

Matt turned to look at the time. "Crap," he said jumping out of bed. "Get out so I can change," Matt said pushing Brea towards the door and out of his room. Brea sighed and walked into the living room. Matt ran out of his room and quickly raced over to hug her. "Happy birthday you nutcase."

"Thanks," she smiled.

"Look, I know you've been having a tough time lately. But I think you need to stop avoiding what happened."

"Are you kicking me out?" Brea asked.

"No!" Matt said quickly. "No, not at all. I wouldn't do that. You're actually fun to have around. I just think I've done all for you that I can. I think you have to go back into your house, at least for a little bit, and try and work through the pain."

"I don't feel like I'm going to burst into tears any second now, so improvement from the start of the summer," Brea smiled. "You're right though, I have to go back. Move forward," she said smiling at Matt. "Keep my room though, I'll be back. Elena's a psycho," Brea giggled.

*********************

"Jeremy!" Brea yelled as she entered the Gilbert house.

"We're in here," Elena called from the kitchen.

Brea walked into the kitchen to only see Ric and Elena. "Well neither of you is Jeremy," Brea said tilting her head.

"He's upstairs," Elena rolled her eyes.

"He's meant to be at work. Matt just called me saying he's not there," Brea said sitting down.

"I know, Matt called me as well, I told him to get to work."

"Did Damon call with more Stefan news?" Ric asked.

"Damon called?" Brea asked

"Yeah. They found some bodies. Damon thinks it could be more Klaus victims," Elena said.

"You're certain Stefan's still with him?" Ric asked.

"Easy to be certain when the alternative is that he's dead," Elena muttered.

"He's not dead," Brea reassured.

"Are you sure you're still okay on the couch?" Elena asked Ric.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good," he said.

"You've spent the whole summer on it," Brea smiled.

"If you need your own bedroom," Elena said gesturing upstairs.

"You can't have mine," Brea asserted.

"I don't want your room, Brea," he smiled gently. "And the alternatives are your dead parent's room or my dead girlfriend's room. So no thanks."

At the mention of Jenna, Brea quickly averted her eyes. She knew her aunt wasn't dead, but she had no way of getting in contact with her, and she was unable to tell anyone she was alive.

"Right," Elena said handing him a coffee.

"Hey, guys," Ric called making them look at him. "Happy birthday," he smiled.

"Thanks," they both said quietly. Neither of them felt like celebrating.

"What's this?" Elena asked as she got into the hall.

Brea poked her head around the corner to see Elena pointing at the bags she'd dropped in the doorway. "Oh yeah, moving back in," Brea smiled at her twin.