Chapter 25: The Dinner Party

EDITED OCT22

*********************

"The old Fell property actually starts just beyond that fence," Jenna told Elijah as Brea trudged along behind them.

"Ah, the Fells. One of the 'founding families'," Elijah mocked making Brea look up.

"Why do you say it like that?" Jenna asked as Brea walked faster to keep pace with Elijah.

"My research showed me this area was actually settled almost two full centuries earlier," Elijah said with a knowing smirk at Brea. "It was a migration of townsfolk from the northeast, um, it was Salem, to be precise."

"Massachusetts?" Jenna asked. "As in the witch trials?"

"Which means the ever-lauded founding families... they didn't actually found anything," he smiled.

"Well I bet it was the men who made a big deal about being founders back in 1860," Jenna said making Brea laugh. "Men are very territorial."

"Yes, they are," Elijah said as he spotted Ric approaching them.

Brea's face lit up. "Ric!" she said happily as she spotted him.

"Hey Brea," Ric greeted back kindly.

"Elijah, this is my friend, Alaric Saltzman," Jenna explained and Brea's eyebrows shot up when she described him as just a friend. Not a good sign, her and Jeremy had a set uncle timeline plan in action.

"Yeah, I got your message about walking Elijah here through the old property lines," Ric said. "I thought I would tag along. You know being a history buff and all. Where to next?" Ric asked as Jenna avoided eye contact.

"I'm pretty curious about the freed slave property owners," Elijah said whilst eyeing Ric. "Some say, you know, the descendants of the slaves are the true keepers of American history."

"Well, I only brought the surveys," Jenna said holding the papers up. "I got that list in the car just give me a sec," Jenna said running off.

"Alaric Saltzman," Elijah said. "So you're one of those people on Elena and Brenna's list of loved ones to protect."

"Yes, he is," Brea said turning to stand next to Ric and placed her elbow high up so it rested on his shoulder.

"So is Jenna," Ric cautioned.

"Ric," Brea whined removing her arm. "He's being nice to Jenna."

"You don't have to be jealous," Elijah smirked. "I don't really pursue younger women."

Ric frowned at this and puffed his chest out, grabbed Brea's arm and pulled her behind him. "Hey!" Brea complained.

"Back off," Ric warned.

"It's a joke, Ric, lighten up," Elijah smirked, walking past Ric and tapping him on the arm as he went past.

"Right," Ric relaxed.

Brea then turned to face Ric with a glare. "I'm not old!" she complained. Ric just smiled and gave her a similar tap on the arm before walking off after Elijah.

*********************

Brea followed Elijah and Jenna into the Grill. She'd been sulking all day after she discovered Elijah planned to sacrifice her sister.

"Hi!" Damon called out waving them over.

"Hey, guys!" Jenna greeted, happily bouncing over to the table.

Brea glared at Damon, not making a move to the table. "Brenna," Elijah called holding his hand out, ushering her forward to the table. She rolled her eyes and walked forward, straight past Elijah.