Chapter 43: Break On Through

EDITED OCT22

*********************

Southern Italy, 1111

"Are you ok Brenna?" Finn asked as they rode in the carriage back to the manor from the village.

"I'm fine," Brenna said before taking a deep breath.

"My lady, you look a little pale," Sage said nervously from next to her.

"Can we stop the carriage please?" Brenna asked as she fidgeted in her seat.

"Driver," Finn yelled banging on the roof and the carriage pulled to a stop.

"I'll be back," Brenna said throwing open the door and leaping out of the carriage.

"Brenna!" Finn yelled after her.

Brenna walked down the road, ahead of the carriage taking deep breaths as tears fell down her cheek and she clutched her chest. "My lady," a small voice spoke from behind her.

Brenna froze and gently placed her hand over her mouth so Sage didn't hear her cry. "I'm fine," she said after she composed herself a bit. "You can return to the carriage."

Sage ignored her and placed her hand on Brenna's shoulder. "It's ok to be sad," she said quietly. Brenna turned around to look at her new friend and gave her a small smile before pulling her into a hug. "You can talk to me. If you wish, it's ok if you don't. It doesn't even have to be me, you could talk to anyone."

Brenna pulled back with a shaky breath. "Thank you," she said placing her hand on Sage's cheek before she brushed the girl's hair off her shoulder. "We best return to the carriage."

"Yes," Sage said happily with a smile before leaning closer to Brenna and whispering, "Finn is very handsome is he not?"

Brenna smiled and took Sage's hands in between hers as they walked to the carriage. "Finn is my brother-in-law, and he is the most lovely of heart of any of his siblings," she whispered as they got back into the carriage.

"Are you alright?" Finn asked looking at Brenna.

"I am," Brenna smiled. "It's ok to be sad and it's ok to talk about it," she said looking at Sage.

"Is that so," Finn said before smiling in Sage's direction. Brenna leant back in her seat and they continued the journey to the house.

As they arrived at the manor, Brenna got out of the carriage to see Kol exiting the house to greet them, just as he did every time Brenna went on a day trip. Brenna sighed and looked at Finn who gave her a small nod. "I'll get Sage settled," he assured and Brenna gave him a nod of thanks before making her way up the steps.

This time, instead of walking past Kol and ignoring him, she turned to him. "Can we talk please?" she asked and his eyes lit up.

"Of course," he nodded as he held out his arm, gesturing for her to enter the house. Brenna shot him a small smile and ventured into the house, making her way up to her bed-chamber, which was across the hall from Kol's. She entered her room and left the door open and sat on her bed as Kol entered behind her and closed the door.

Brenna looked into his eyes and saw the desperation in them and sighed. "I'm sorry," she admitted. "I have not behaved well."

"Darling," Kol whispered as he ran forward and knelt in front, grabbing her two hands between his and kissing them. "It is I who should apologise."