Chapter 18: The Return

EDITED SEP22

*********************

As Brea and Elena entered the kitchen they both froze and let out a loud gasp. They saw their uncle John, lying on the kitchen floor. Elena ran towards him but then froze as she got closer and got a better look at the scene. John's fingers had been cut off by a knife. Elena sucked in a deep breath and grabbed a rag, and wrapped it around John's hand to try to stem the bleeding.

"Ambulance," Brea stuttered from further back. Elena then leant forward and grabbed the home phone, and dialled for an ambulance.

"Hi, I need an ambulance to 2104 Maple Street," Elena hurriedly stuttered into the phone. As Elena was speaking Brea noticed John's eyes grow wide as he started staring in panic at the space behind Brea.

"Behind you," he groaned.

"What?" Brea asked, not hearing properly as she took a few more steps toward her injured uncle.

"Behind you!" John then said more forcefully. Elena and Brea then both got the message and with a loud gasp, turned around. As Brea spun around she slipped on blood and fell backwards, landing on Elena.

"Up, up, up," Elena groaned shoving Brea back up. Elena then snatched up the knife lying next to John and took her sister's hand as they walked through the house looking for the intruder. Brea heard something behind them so she spun them both around, making Elena gasp loudly. The girls then tentatively took a few steps forward. Out of the corner of Brea's eyes, she thought she saw Elena, which made no sense since she was holding Elena's hand. Just as soon as she saw it though, it disappeared and was replaced with the sound of the front door slamming. Both Elena and Brea yelped in shock and spun back around again.

"Jer!" Brea breathed to Elena, realising they didn't know if he'd been attacked as well as John.

"Jeremy!" Elena breathed in shock.

"Jeremy!" Brea screamed desperately as she broke away from her sister and sprinted up the stairs, Elena following not far behind. "Jeremy!" Brea screamed again as she reached his room. As soon as she reached his bedroom she screamed, he was still asleep despite the commotion that had occurred downstairs and that wasn't a good sign.

"Please, Jeremy, wake up!" Elena yelled as she threw herself onto the bed and began shaking him. Brea on the other hand slowly slid down the wall, tears falling down her face. Just as she was about to break down, Jeremy woke up with a sharp intake of breath.

*********************

Brea and Elena stood on the stairs watching John get carted away towards the ambulance. They were waiting for Stefan to come so he could evaluate Jeremy. Just as John was taken outside, Stefan arrived. As he tried to enter a police officer stopped him but Elena spoke up. "He's ok," she said and Stefan was allowed to enter the house before all three of them then ran up the stairs to Jeremy's room.

"What happened?" Stefan asked.

"He said that Anna gave him her blood," Elena explained. "And then he took these pills. And now, I mean, he looks fine, but then again so do you, so I just- I don't know," she said desperately as Jeremy stared at the ground.

"Come here. Look at me," Stefan said taking Jeremy's face.

"I'm fine, ok? I feel exactly the same," Jeremy snapped.

"Should I call a paramedic up here? What should I do?" Elena asked as Brea continued to stare at Jeremy, tears streaming down her face.

"No," Stefan answered still examining Jeremy. "He's fine," Stefan concluded.