twenty five

SAFEST IN YOUR ARMS
" i love you "
{' LOVE '}

"ARE YOU SERIOUSLY not going to talk about it?" Nia asked for the third time that night

"ARE YOU SERIOUSLY not going to talk about it?" Nia asked for the third time that night. the streetlights above them were illuminating her face in a slight yellow hue every couple of seconds. the radio had been completely shut off by the passenger something the driver was very opposed to. bright beam lights would occasionally reflect upon Samantha's skin shinning light on her neutral expression. both hands were griping the steering wheel, which wasn't a habit of hers. she'd usually drive with one hand on the shift handle and a relaxed posture. not like how she looked then.

the clock below the touch screen showed 8:34, two hours after they had left the younger girls home. the sky had darkened not long after the white camry pulled out of the driveway and the after work traffic had drastically died down since then. the two best friends had gone to get milkshakes and burgers from Boston, although one of them hadn't done much eating. they ate in the car and as much as Nia tried to get the girl to talk about her feelings, she would avoid the topic completely. at first, the car ride was tense, especially every time Nia would ask if she was okay but slowly the young girl would relax. when they arrived to the fast food restaurant, Samantha took a couple of bites out of her burger but she winded up throwing all of it away. the only thing she did drink was her strawberry milkshake that seemed to relax her completely.

until she got a text from Georgia. the two were in the middle of talking about their plans for thanksgiving when her phone vibrated. she expected it to be her mom, yet again lecturing her about her little walk out, she had called on the way to Boston but Samantha didn't return the call until they parked. she heard her mom tell her that as much as the whole Alexandra thing was bothering her, it didn't give her a right to just walk out without a single goodbye. Samantha quickly apologized and said it wouldn't happen again and quickly after, Ellen's tone changed. she knew her daughter wasn't the type to ever do such things, the only times she had seen her be so angry was when Alexandra left so it didn't leave any doubt that it was the reason why she was angry then too.

it was in fact not her mom but Georgia. to say the notification shocked her was an understatement. she hadn't heard from her in days and they weren't exactly in a good place so the fact that she was contacting her didn't make much sense. although she'd lie if she said it didn't make her heart start beating faster and her stomach to grow a tornado of butterflies. Nia noticed pretty quickly that someone special had texted her and when she asked, Samantha shook her off. from then until they left the parking lot, the brunette kept asking but Samantha still couldn't find the words to tell her. not when she knew Nia would have something negative to say and especially not when she couldn't even process the fact on her own.

when the car pulled into the driveway, Samantha put the car in park and finally turned to face her. "Georgia texted me." she finally confessed. the words felt weird coming out of her mouth, it was something she thought she'd never say again. she didn't realize how much she closed herself off from the blonde until then. subconsciously she let go of any chance of them getting together, not when she was jealous of Paul but when she saw the little moment between her and Zion. it was then that a part of her broke. that small string that had been pulling more and more that was left in just a small lace, snapped in half. there was too much weight, too much jealousy and too much pain to keep that string together.