twenty

SAFEST IN YOUR ARMS
" i really hate her. "
{' PAIN '}

WHY DID LOVE HAVE TO HURT? did it have to hurt? could it be the only way to know the love you're feeling is real? could there be love without pain? Samantha didn't have any of those answers

WHY DID LOVE HAVE TO HURT? did it have to hurt? could it be the only way to know the love you're feeling is real? could there be love without pain? Samantha didn't have any of those answers. she felt like the least reliable person to ask. love had only ever been pain for her. one way or another, love was painful. although there were some people she loved that didn't hurt her, she had her parents that adored her infinitely, her siblings who looked up to her a way that maybe they didn't understand yet and of course her friends who had always been there for her. except that wasn't the love she was thinking about.

maybe her past two relationships being so painful should be answer enough, she wasn't sure. she wished she knew. maybe if she'd ask Oliver and Natalie they'd say pain came with love but it wasn't necessarily a given. there was pain in their love, pain that passed, pain that they resolved together. maybe she could ask her parents and they'd probably say the same. but then there was her who didn't have that. with love there was only ever pain. maybe it was just her. maybe the only way she could ever love someone was if pain was intertwined like a tangled thread so tight nothing could ever fix it. maybe her love was like roses, like a flower that came with thorns. thorns that pricked your fingers and made you believe maybe they aren't as worth it.

it was all she could think about. she couldn't sleep again, tossing and turning while thinking about the woman across the street. wondering if Georgia was also thinking about her, wondering if Paul was there. she couldn't bring herself to check. at some point she went through the pictures of them. the first picture she took of the blonde was just to bother her, she was rolling a blunt and she looked so concentrated that Samantha couldn't pass up the opportunity. there was a video of them laying in her bed, the blonde wasn't paying attention but at the sound of Samantha's laugh, she glanced at the camera to see her being recorded with a dumb filter over her face. most of the pictures and videos were the same, each of them with the blonde caught off guard. she wasn't posing or putting on a fake smile but somehow anytime she'd realize the raven girl was taking a picture of her, a huge smile would cross her features and Samantha was lucky to capture those moments.

she skipped breakfast once again but her mom didn't ask her any questions. she figured something was wrong but there were moments like this, moments in which Samantha went to a dark place but she'd always ask for space and she'd always get out of that place on her own. Ellen knew she just needed space to sort through her emotions. she had enough experience with both her and Marcus to understand how she could help in situations like that.

when she finally got to school, her friends were not so keen on giving her space. even if she tried to hide her exhaustion and sadness by acting as if everything was normal, the eye bags were enough. not to mention her overall attitude. she tried to not cause any attention to herself so she dressed normally, jeans and a long sleeved shirt, unlike the sweatpants and oversized hoodie she was close to have worn. her hair was straightened like most days and she was wearing makeup but even then, her friends could tell.